Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Favorite Hand-Gardening Tool

gldno1
14 years ago

I didn't know if this would show up on Lisa's thread or not so will do a separate post. I want something to chop henbit (in particular) and other weeds from up close to plants. I am even willing to work on my knees! I wondered about some of the Japanese tools. I want it wide enough to cut rather than dig.

I will be waiting.............you all have never failed me before, don't fail me now!

glenda

Comments (12)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Glenda, a had a gal from the West Coast show me her HoriHori, which was her #1 favorite tool. I really should buy one, it's quite handy.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just remembered to check this! Thanks, I think that is the name I was trying to think of.

• scarletdaisies
    14 years ago

How about garden snippers:

{{gwi:652501}}

• Annie
    14 years ago

I like my little Hoe-Matic.
    Has a chopper tool on one side and flips over with a three-tined cultivator. Bought it at Lowe's a long time ago (1995).

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In looking for these tools; I discovered Smith and Hawken is out of business! I think that is where I bought my great spade and fork. I hate that.

• memo3
    14 years ago

Glenda, Try this website, below. They have some Korean tools that might just work for you. Go through the links on the left side and see all they have to offer. I'll bet you'll find something that will work for you. Annie's gadget is sold here too.

MeMo

Here is a link that might be useful: Shovel and Hoe Company

• Annie
    14 years ago

Thanks for the LINK, Memo. Yup, they have the Hoe-Matic. Glad I bought mine when it was $5!

They have those Telescoping Rakes too. I have one. Bought it last year. It is great for cleaning off shrubs after clipping and shearing and it's great for raking in those small or tight places too.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Am bringing this forward, after reading this post I bought a HoriHori and it goes with me everywhere in the garden, super little tool!

Any updates on new tools we absolutely shouldn't be without?

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I like my hori-hori just fine but my two favorite gardening tools are my Felco pruners and my Sneeboer trowel.

Rosefolly

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

I got a very small pointed hoe from Gardensupply.com Had it a long time. Also got very good smaller head hoe at Auction.Have small hands-so some of the bigger ones can't even get my hand around handle.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

My favorite and most used tool far and away has to be a Felco by-pass pruners.

I have a hori-hori knife which I seldom use. Got it a Smith & Hawken years ago. It is too thick and heavy for me.

I have a circle hand hoe but the hoe I use the most is a Martha Stewart one I bought at K-Mart years ago. They are no longer sold there but it looks like the Nejiri-Gama- Hand hoe.

I like the flat blade for cutting the soil and the pointed end to dig up weeds with long tap roots or to dig a hole.
    It also works great to remove dirt from the bottom of pots or shoes, etc. Very versatile. Last spring I lost it and missed it until I turned the compost pile where it was hiding. Figured that was where it was as it is not unusual for lost tools to turn up there.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand hoe

• pat_tea
    12 years ago

I bought a circle hoe at a garden show. Actually I bought a set with three sizes. I love them. You can get right up to a plant and cut out a weed without cutting your plant. http://www.circlehoe.com/