Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too late to prune back rose?

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 8:49

My Abraham Darby rose needs pruned way back but as usual I didn't do it last year and now it's April. Is it too late since I see leaf buds on the canes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too late to prune back rose?

Not at all. I do my rose pruning around this time of the year. Go ahead.

o

I pruned my peace roses today. they were getting out of control so I cut them back to about 3' tall. They're gonna be happy that I did. IMHO now is the perfect time for zone 5
:) Laura

o

My AD has such tall canes but every Spring there are dead ones so I do cut those out. I just hate the thought of cutting back those long canes, even though I know it would be healthier for the plant and I'd get more bloom. Have had problems with black spot too. Well, guess I'll go get the pruners - eek.

o

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 20:10

Now sounds like the perfect time in your zone to prune, Schoolhouse. Just when new growth is appearing but before it becomes leafy.

o

Except for spring-blooming only rose (old garden roses), I start pruning mine back in early spring (March here), but prune and pinch back as needed throughout the growing season. (Prune and feed once a month through the growing season, makes beautiful bushes and lots of blooms.

You just need to stop pruning in late summer or early fall so the roses have time to heal over the cut edges before fall frosts or snows arrive. Otherwise those fresh cut ends will collect water and rot in winter time.

All my rose cuttings that are long enough (6 inches or so) go into containers with sandy soil to root.

If I had an Abraham Darby, I would try to root ALL the prunings and fill my garden with those delicious roses.

Good luck schoolhouse!
~Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here