Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Veggie garden in

schoolhouse_gw
10 years ago

Well, mostly lettuces. I planted a row of Endive, a row of Spinach, two rows of Buttercrunch lettuce, two rows of Red Sails lettuce, and two rows of French Mesculin. Plus a patch of red onions, and some "Frosty" peas to climb the old bean trellis (no beans this year). The next day (yesterday) it rained all day so they got a good watering.

Now I'm betting the resident groundhog(s) get my peas, that usually happens, but I'll replant if possible. Never have too much luck with spinach as it bolts so quickly for me, possibly because i don't get it in early enough. The variety I planted claims to be a dark curly leafed spinach that is slow to bolt. We'll see.

Comments (10)

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

You got a lot planted. How long are your rows? Did you do seeds?
    Tuesday I got most of my tomatoes planted. And it rained all day yesterday here too. It's cold and cloudy so far today. I hope to get out there in a little while and get the rest of my veggies planted, but it's just got to warm up some or get sunny first. This is my 2nd spring/summer here and last year I planted my veggies in a spot that was too shady (didn't realize how much shade it would be when the trees leafed out) and had the worst veggie season I've ever had. Last summer and fall I worked on getting a new bed ready and hope to do much better this year.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My rows are short, probably 5' or so, some go one way, some another, small garden plot but I manage to squeeze quite alot in if I choose. Yes, I plant seeds except for the red onions - I put in sets.

I'm not planting tomatoes this year but if I were I wouldn't put them in this early at my place. Usually wait until the end of May to put out veggie starts. Except broccoli, cabbage,ect. that like it cool.

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

Even 5' rows gives you alot. I forget you are 3 zones cooler than my zone. I've never lived in an area colder than 7b so it's hard to grasp spring being so much later.
    This is the first year I've ever had a separate veggie garden as I've always mixed them in my flowers. Even this year I planted eggplants and burgundy okra among my flowers. And I'm going to plant some gaillardia and gazania in my veggie bed.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should add some flowers to my veggie garden this year. I planted a border of zinnias one time that looked nice. However, not too much sun in the afternoon down there in the space I'd have for them. There are two roses nearby growing happily in tall grass that I never seem to weed out. The rose is so prickly one has to be careful when you grab a handful of weeds to yank.

Nasturtiums or marigolds might work. I think I will! Thanks for bringing up the thought.

• Sandi_W
    10 years ago

I would love to plant some marigolds, but last year slugs and snails ate 2 flats of them. I tried everything except hand picking, which I can NOT do. And I love nasturiums. Either would be very pretty.
    I'm headed out to garden. Supposed to rain Sat and Sun so I better get some stuff planted.

• Annie
    10 years ago

That all sounds 'deliciously' lovely, schoolhouse..
    You are WAY ahead of me.
    Spring gardens are so beautiful. All the various shades and hues of green and the flowers.
    I like to sprinkle some Chamomile seeds in here and there. It is beneficial to the growth and health of many vegetable plants, and I can make my own teas from the dried flowers - plus those airy little flowers are just so darned pretty.

I've only managed to plant out my cole crop plants so far - 4 broccoli plants, 3 cabbages and 3 cauliflower. I planted them in the rose garden.

I have gobs of tomatoes in pots, but none in the ground yet.
    Have seeds for lettuces, radishes, squashes, and etc., but can't get anything in the ground.

For the past month the weather hasn't been cooperating whatsoever, and now my back isn't. I cannot do any kind of hoeing, or raking, and certainly can't use the tiller, so here I sit with my big bag of vegetable seeds. I walk around out there looking at the garden plot, planning where things will go, but that is as far as I have gotten. I have degenerative spine and it is finally starting to really hinder my mobility and activities. It really sucks.
    But, I'm not a quitter and am not giving up - NO WAY!, but certainly am on pause for the time being. I hope whatever is going on back there passes soon. My doctor had ex-rays done and then scheduled me for an MRI soon. (So plantmaven, I can empathize).
    I pushed myself too hard and too long, way beyond where I should have, and now I guess I am beginning to pay the price for being so obsessive, I guess.

So...You take it easy too, my friend. I don't know how you do what you do. Seriously. I am in awe of all that you accomplish and your beautiful place that you've kept and created all by yourself.

Please post pics as your garden grows so we can see. It sounds so nice.

~Annie

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 20:21

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie. I sympathize with the achy back. Every year I am able to do less - too much lifting of heavy stones and materials - like you. I have one big project left in my courtyard garden that I want to do before my back goes out for good. That's the darn stone wall to finish off the back corner of my small sunken garden. The same wall I keep mentioning every season, but this time I vow to "get 'er done".

I used the blow/vac a couple weeks ago to vacuum up all the leaves and debris from the paver stones and it made my back hurt to so bad that I had to sit down about every 10min.
    Sweeping with a regular broom is even worse. Guess I'll stock up on Bayer Back and Body to get me through until October. :)

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

I'm so behind this year. I have been farting around with every project, EXCEPT what I need to be doing, and that is getting my veggie garden up to par. The only thing I have seeded is peas. I have started some stuff in the greenhouse, but the garden itself is in such disrepair it's not ready to be planted yet. Maybe I'll devote all of tomarrow to it. It's supposed to be nice....but windy. Ohhhh how I hate the wind. Isn't it exhausting to fight windy conditions all day?

My garden area is with raised beds. 8 of them, 40 feet long and about 3 feet wide on average. It's alot of space. More than I can manage to tell the truth.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I have worked so many hours, and cannot get everything done. I too am fighting the shoulders and back issue along with the knee. I know, I am getting uncomfortably close to the last of my 60s, so I should except it, but like Annie, I won't give up. If I could manage to mulch when I weed, it would be a huge help, but I don't always manage it. Rats! I hate not being able to o all I used to. and I have some rocks I want moved too.
    kay

• Annie
    10 years ago

It was supposed to be warm and sunny today after the thunderstorms we had all last night. Well...it isn't.
    It's chilly out and wet and it's dark, cloudy and dreary.
    Danged weather!
    Had planned on trying to hoe out a few plots for lettuce, onions, and radishes, and maybe plant a tomato or three....so I can catch up with you schoolhouse. (lol).
    Only a few years ago this kind of weather wouldn't have kept me from going out and working in the garden. In fact, I would have enjoyed the cooler temps and could have tilled up the entire garden and planted it too. But all I feel like doing today is taking a nap and snoozing. What a major drag it is to be getting older.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus