Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird feeder hull dropings

Posted by mrtoad 7b NC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 10:31

bird feeder question

i feed finches � year round � four finch feeders in the garden area � do the hulls from the nyjer seeds do harm to the garden soil

i have heard that sunflower seeds hull harm the soil � but not sure that is true

any advice would be appreciated

thanks, mr toad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird feeder hull dropings

Well they are messy. I feed mine nyjer seeds. I haven't seen them harm the grass but they do start accumulating on the ground which can be unattractive. And then they start attracting creatures. Not only that, they can grow. There are options though. There are saucers that can be hung below the feeder to catch these stuff.

o
RE: bird feeder hull dropings

Hi Mr. Toad,
I love to use them in my compost pile- they make nice mulch after a short period.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here