Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

AZ ah tree GONE!

plantmaven
11 years ago

The tree had/has huge roots on top of the ground and had it's eye on up rooting my patio.
It provided no shade to my house or any neighbors' houses.
My back neighbor's huge live oak casts some shade in the back. My house faces North, so the runs moves from left to right.
Now all I need is some muscle to haul the bags of compost to that area.

Comments (9)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a before picture. In the first picture the bird bath is sitting on the trunk of the ash.
    Also in the first picture you see what looks like a limb running from the trunk out to the left. That is a root. The others are more on the back and right of the trunk. There is one that runs from just in front of the wagon and has already raised the sidewalk about 1 inch.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Awesome that you won't have huge roots competing with your garden now! Plus this means you have more planting room :-] Do ya' got any new plans/ideas for new beds and such?

Ps. love all the columbine
    CMK

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not sure yet. I do have several pots of iris and daylilies that need to be planted after they bloom.
    I also intend to toss more columbine, larkspur and poppy seeds.
    I am leaning more towards a few flowering shrubs and perennials. My back has gotten too bad for me to do much gardening any more.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I know you are glad it's gone. Looks totally different. And I'm so sorry to hear your back is too bad to garden much. I hope you get to do enough to satisfy the craving.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I was just sick when we had to cut down two 40 year old Cedar Elms that were losing good size limbs during wind storms, but, boy did it open up a lot - lots more blooms on plants and everything looks much healthier. I do miss the shade one tree provided on my patio.

I'm sorry about your back, that's not fun...

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks y'all. I have had back problems all my life. I have scoliosis and kyphosis (forward curve). I had hopes that my last surgery in 06 would take care of it, but it has not, it is still curving forward.
    I am so fortunate that my best friend lives with me. Between the two of us we seem to muddle along.
    We are both widows so no DH to help....or clean up after, hahahaha

• User
    11 years ago

Hi plantmaven,..lol about your last comment,.."We are both widows so no DH to help....or clean up after".

Now that tree sure had a huge root heading off to the left,..it must have caused lots of detours,..however its gone now and what a change,..i like your display of Columbine,..very impressive,..oh sorry about your back.

Philip

• Annie
    11 years ago

Kathy,
    You are one gutsy lady!
    It sure opened up your back yard and lots of possibilities!

...gentle ((Hugs)) for your back problems.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course I am. I am 1/2 Okie! The tree served no purpose for anyone. It cast shade on 3 back fences and that is all.
    xo

Sponsored