Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Mirror in a garden

natalie4b
12 years ago

Does anyone use a mirror/mirrors in a garden? I have been looking for proper outdoor mirror, but so far was not able to find a right one. It needs to be framed, rust and rut free.

I love the effect of reflection - gives an illusion of larger space, and reflects the beauty of a garden/flowers/greenery.

Thanks!

~Natalie

Comments (12)

• ianna
    12 years ago

Natalie,

I don't use a mirror in the garden because at times the sun can be too harsh and the reflection could bother the neighbors. HOwever I have seen them used in shady gardens like behind a bench in an arbored area covered by vines. That would look nice.

Just be careful not to put them in areas that may deceive birds into flying into them and thereby getting harmed as a result.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I used an old shower door mirror to make a mosaiced mirror for out in the garden, I figured if it is good with water from the shower...it's good for rain too!

{{gwi:654087}}

• Cher
    12 years ago

That's beautiful calamity. Very well done.
    Cher

• ianna
    12 years ago

This is located in a shady garden

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror on the wall

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

My neighbour has one in an arched frame to make a faux gateway at the end of her garden, which, like mine is microscopic, and can do with visually extending. You can buy special non-glass outdoor mirrors which are made for the job.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden mirrors

• User
    12 years ago

I have 2 so far. I have just about completed this area in my back garden. I planted the Revolutionary War hospital bed this past week. My DH and I made the wooden box for the raised bed and set the metal bed over it. I filled it with 10 bags of soil. So far it is going great guns !

The 2 old windows have mirrors attached to the back using the plastic mirror hardware from Lowes. The glass is still in the windows. I would like to add shutters if I can find small ones. The Cardinals love to sit on the edge of the wood and look at themselves and preen. Very vain birds :)

I have 2 more old window/mirrors but haven't figured out where to put them yet.

{{gwi:654089}}

long view of back garden:

{{gwi:654091}}

Hope this gives you some ideas. c

• ianna
    12 years ago

trailrunner,
    I wasn't focused at first on your mirrors (which are great by the way) because that garden bed drew my attention. It's spectacular. That's so clever. You should grow clematis on both head and footboards.

Ianna

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fantastic ideas! Thanks everyone!

• User
    12 years ago

Thank you Ianna...I have 2 on order :) I am also planning on more things around the base of the bed. I want to train things up and over the windows and add the shutters. I finally feel like a gardener. It is thanks to this forum and the ideas and support I have received over the years. I am glad you like it .

Natalie...hope you get some ideas from this. c

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That flower bed is awesome!

• User
    12 years ago

Thank you natalie...I have worked and worked and killed more plants than I care to think about. If only I had tried raised beds sooner. Will do more as I find interesting things to build around. Glad you like it. c

• luckygal
    12 years ago

I love mirrors in the garden and have 2 that are framed with barnboard. I found one at a yard sale and DH made me the other one. He bought the mirror at a glass shop and paid very little as it was a left-over piece. It's very thick mirror glass, in fact when the bear climbed up to look in my laundry room window he knocked the mirror onto the concrete patio and it didn't even break!

Here is a link that might be useful: mirrors in the garden

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus