Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Xpost: Losing the lawn--a Sunset photo gallery

Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 11:01

Xpost from CA Gardening forum:

Sometimes we talk about how plants used here in the West are different than those used in other regions where gardeners can count on summer rains. Our local paper, in conjunction with Sunset magazine, has an interesting gallery of 20 photos on Western yards that have replaced lawn with different colorful, water saving designs.

I thought the folks here might enjoy taking a look at some of these beautiful gardens. Although not strictly cottage, they are visually pleasing, with color, texture, and yes, flowers too.

Here is a link that might be useful: X-post: Losing the lawn photo gallery

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Xpost: Losing the lawn--a Sunset photo gallery

Love it - I have basically lawn-free garden, and so happy I did it!

o
RE: Xpost: Losing the lawn--a Sunset photo gallery

I am SO looking forward to doing this to my front lawn in Texas! Last week I went to a class on water sustaining, and built a 55 gallon rain barrel from a food grade drum. The class was so interesting, learned stuff I had never thought about before - we really are getting to a place where we need to get away from watering so much. With all the new houses, businesses, parking lots, malls, etc our land is quickly getting covered. Texas only has one natural lake, the rest are man made, mostly during the 30's to provide water for later population growth but it's not enough. Our largest water user in the Dallas/Ft Worth area is the airport, cleaning planes, runways, deicing, etc.

I'll quit rambling here - just one other thing, should have known this, but all our potable water is recycled over and over for our use, but runoff from overwatering, etc. ends up in the storm drains which empty into the creeks around here. That means fertilizer and lots of other stuff ends up in the creeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here