Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

using parsley as a border

ianna
12 years ago

I would like to share this photo of using parsley as a border. It's an excellent choice as these are easy to grow and maintain, not to mention they can be easily replaced or removed.

Here is a link that might be useful: parsley border

Comments (16)

• finchelover
    12 years ago

That really looks nice,what type did you use? I would like to use Parsley that attracks butterflies

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Brilliant, now why didn't I think of that. I use a lot of parsley so not only would it look great it would supply all the parsley I'd ever need.

Annette

• natal
    12 years ago

Parsley is a cool season herb down here. I use thyme as a border, but sometimes it doesn't make it through our hot summers. Easy enough to replace in the fall.

Finch, black swallowtails will use any parsley as a host plant.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Was that border planted by seed or transplants? What a great bit of bright green as well as for kitchen use.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Does it need periodic trimming? My parsley gets gangly, especially when it flowers. But it does have a wonderful color and texture. Nice idea.

Martha

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They grow easily as seeds and they are cheap as transplants.

Finch - this is not my yard. I just thought to put the idea there for everyone to see. I came across them being used as borders while travelling in Quebec. They just contrasted so well with other plants that it blew me away.

Martha - do trim them off. The lovely thing about these plants is that they will continue to produce new leaves for as long as you deadhead them.

BTW I love swallowtail caterpillars and have been trying to attract them to my yard by planting dill. However there are many many birds in the area and so they don't stand a chance in my area. Plus, I love luring birds to my yard too so I guess the caterpillars can't make it in my yard.

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

A parsley border would look great down here in early spring though. A nice idea for a seasonal annual area. I like that.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Curley parsley would look better as an edging then Italian parsley, which gets very tall and leggy.

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Natalie, I was referring to curly parsle all along. Although for cooking purposes, the Italian parsley is the best.

Sandi, although parsley is treated as an annual, they are actually perennials. If at the end of the season, you change your mind and prefer a different border, remove the entire plant, including all of it's taproots - otherwise they will grow back.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

My curly parsley planted last spring is about 4' tall now and about 2' around. I planted in front of a rose to see if I'd like more of it... its almost as tall as the rose bush!

I didn't cut much of it off through the year.. just watching to see what it does in my yard. It looks great but its something that will need to be cut back a lot if used to line beds with. :)

Hubby loves the look of it and wants more just for the green lushness of the plant. hmm wonder how it would do in shade?? gonna have to buy another to test in the shade bed.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

' ....although parsley is treated as an annual, they are actually perennials.'

Parsley is in fact biennial and your edging is unlikely to last more than one year in good condition. The following year it will flower and may well self sow if you leave it alone. Some plants may persist for another year but they are not truly perennial. I have used it as an edging in a narrow shady strip along the base of a greenhouse and it worked very well.

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi flora, mine lasted beyond 2 years. In fact, I had to dig it out so I can use the bed for another plant.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Well, ianna - as we all know - plants don't always follow the rules. Your parsley clearly had a mind of its own and hadn't read the literature. Wiki uses parsley as an example to illustrate biennial growth.

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know which is why I don't really 'follow' the strict biennial designation on many plants.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

My Italian parsley reseeded from last year, and I have gazillions of babies everywhere. I usually let them grow up a bit, and then replant wherever I prefer them to be.
    They are biennials, and the second year (from my experience with Italian parsley), they get huge. We eat a lot of salads, so it is used frequently in a kitchen.
    Love the look of curly parsley - and would love to add it ornamentaly.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I had to pull put the giant clumps of parsley their second year...they were taking over the bed. Basil is the only herb I have to replant every year.
    kay

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider