Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Good gardening days

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Proud of myself. Had nice weather this past week, started the first shearing of the boxwood hedges Tuesday and finished up yesterday. Planted lily bulbs, (Starburst and Pineapple), the Primrose, and a new Bleeding Heart. Plus mowed all the yard and orchard yesterday for the first time this Spring. Looks great, so green. Today it is raining. So glad I got stuff done.

Funny story about the Bleeding Heart. My neighbor down the road came to me one evening with a plant to give me, saying it was a start from an Heirloom Peony that an older gentlemen gave her. I was curious as to why this Peony was so far along in foliage but thought perhaps because it was an Heirloom it could be one of the early ones. So yesterday sitting on the back porch I looked at this "Peony" on the table and noticed some flower buds.....wait a minute...this is a Bleeding Heart! ha I'm not sure if my neighbor realizes this or not, she was so excited to give me the "Peony". I'm sure she will figure it out when hers begins to bloom. : )

I'm really in the planting mood now. My friend and I have decided to "hit the nurseries" the first week of next month - after payday!

Comments (19)

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

You've gotten a lot accomplished. Pictures soon?
    I got quite a bit done between rains, but not nearly enough. My new veggie bed isn't ready so I potted my little veggies in larger pots. Hopefully next week.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll snap some pics later, kind of rainy and cold today. The prettiest views of the orchard with all the daffodils in bloom have the neighbor's house and cluttered back yard in the background (since they cut down all the pines along the line), but I'll try to take some other angles. They are good neighbors,tho.

Yes, I must make a list of which lettuce seeds I want to plant this year. I usually plant several varieties plus some endive. Should have planted some peas to climb the bean trellis but I guess it's not too late. The groundhog is probably patiently waiting to see if I do so. It's mostly the only thing he'll bother.
    Maybe I'll try red onions this year. That's about it. No tomatoes, don't have much luck anymore. Could be my soil or lack of bright sun in that corner now days. Planted lemon cukes last year and got a nice crop but couldn't eat them all and I'm not a pickler. What are you going to put out this year sandi?

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

As far as veggies? I have 'Black Beauty' eggplants, and bunching onions already planted. I will seed burgundy okra this weekend. And I have Celebrity and Roma tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers ready to go into the ground. I would love to plant some sugar snaps or snow peas (are they the same?). I need to expand my veggie options.
    I have grown lots of lettuce in the past, but none in a few years. I've always grown it in large pots as it gets hot here so early. That way I can move the pots into a little more shade as it warms up. I've had good luck with that.
    It's chilly and dreary outside today so I'm taking a break. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot about green peppers, I usually put in four plants. Yields enough for me. I've grown eggplant before and had good luck with that too. Made and froze lots of eggplant parmesan. I've never eaten eaten okar before. Does that grow in Ohio? I'll have to look that up about the peas, sugar and snow. I'm thinking they are different tho.

Gosh, I know what you mean. It's really cold here this evening too. Got the thermostat turned up again.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, you really should try fried okra. I love it. But I love okra cooked anyway. I would think you could grow okra in OH if you get it in the ground as early as possible. I just put my seeds in warm water to soak overnight for planting tomorrow. Besides planting the okra, I hope to get more of my wall parged. I can't plant the openings until it's done. I should be ashamed of myself for putting it off.
    And today (after promising myself I wouldn't buy anymore) I bought 8 verbenas, 6 purple and 2 tapien pink for the wall.
    And eggplant fried like green tomatoes is delicious. Supposed to be in the 40s for several nights here and down to 36 one night.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

You are both far ahead of me! I've planted my peas and onions, and today it's raining so everything can be settling in. It's too cold here still for anything else, since we still had some leftover snow 2 weeks ago. It will be about 5 weeks before I can safely plant tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant without protection, though I am considering a temporary hoop house to warm the soil and give an earlier start to the warm weather crops.

Snap peas and snow peas both have edible pods, but snow peas have to be harvested when the pods first form, before the peas inside are more than just tiny pips. Snap peas are more tender and sweet, and can be harvested until the peas inside are full size. The thick and juicy pods are also delicious eaten raw; most of mine don't make into the kitchen. I grow snap peas, and they are one of my favorite veggies.

I have been redoing mulch on perennials beds that won't get changed this year, pruning my in-laws blueberries, cleaning out the last remains of last season's perennial foliage and leaves that blew in over the winter, and enjoying this brief time of warmth and early flowers before the blackflies hatch out and make being outdoors a misery for the month of May during some of the prettiest weather of the year.

• winsomegardener
    11 years ago

I, too, have been busy in the garden over the past few weeks despite cooler temps than normal in my area so far this Spring. DH and I do all of the work ourselves so it is a HUGE chore but there is a great feeling of accomplishment when everything gets done. Looking so forward to another wonderful garden season.

Have added some new hostas and a hydrangea to a shady barren area near my garage and transplanted many self-sown babies from my cottage beds to empty spots in my backyard. Perennial herbs are coming back to life including my mint and lemon thyme. Planted 6 broccoli plants as well.

Can't wait to shop for new plants in the next couple of weeks. I'd like to try Lady's Mantle for the first time. Plan to add it to the front of existing beds. Am not sure if I should plant it in shade or sun. Any thoughts? I am on the south shore of Long Island if that helps.

Happy Gardening!!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, here are a few pics I just took. I feel a little weird posting the same beds and same flowers every year, so I tried not to do that at least until there is more interest. I'm replacing older perennials that have gone, adding more here and there. Difficult to get good photos of the daffs in the orchard, will try and post some in a separate thread.

I bragged I had all my boxwood's first shearing done, but as you see in the fourth photo I forgot the 3' hedge in upper right that fronts the Bush Clover (not out of the ground yet). UGH. Maybe I'll just use hand shears instead of dragging the elec.cords out again. lol

Why do cats always manage to get into at least one photo?(make that TWO photos, can you find two cats?).

{{gwi:654803}}

{{gwi:654806}}

{{gwi:654810}}

{{gwi:654814}}

{{gwi:654816}}

{{gwi:654819}}

{{gwi:654820}}

{{gwi:654822}}

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Lady's Mantle is more shade loving.

I love seeing your pics schoolhouse. I always see something different. I love your hedges. And I only saw 1 cat unless that's a cat in the background of the 4th pic. What are the yellow flowers in the 7th pic? I know the name, but can't spit it out.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love Lady's Mantle in the rock garden. Just the right shade of green foliage and then somewhat chartreuse blooms. sandi is correct that it likes shade or dappled shade.

sandi, the tall yellow flowers are Crown Imperials. I thought I was buying orange CI bulbs, bloomed yellow instead. I didn't realize how hardy these bulbs are and how much they multiply. I think this must be the fourth year for them. Not a nice scent, to me anyways.

No cat in in 4th.pic. Guess again. ; )

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Forgot to add...I seeded 15 hills of okra and did another 80lb bag of mortar. I got almost 14' more of the wall done. That just wears me out so I'm just about no good for the rest of the day.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Do I see a white ear in the 6th pic? LOL

Crown Imperial is not what I was thinking, but I love them and will check them out for here. I don't think I've ever seen them and want some yellow like yours.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that is my white cat Pretty behind the pyramid boxwood in pic 6. You win, too funny.

Look for Crown Imperial bulbs in the Fall. As I mentioned, you may not want to plant them near a porch where you sit or a bench in the garden. To me they smell like skunk - even before the bloom opens. I believe there are red ones too.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh and you are really progressing on that wall - 14' is great. I know how hard it is to work with stone and building walls, your mortared wall has to be just as grueling. Take lots of breaks, that's what I do. I have my wicker chair right nearby. Can't wait to see your finished wall.

I saw Okra seed at the farm store this afternoon. Can you tell me what it compares to as far as taste? I also see it in cans at the grocery.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I can't think of anything to compare the taste of okra to. It's all by itself. I love the canned okra and tomatoes, sometimes as a side dish cooked down a little (with a little bacon grease), but usually in homemade veggie soup instead of just tomatoes. That's boiled okra. Fried is totally different tasting.
    I have one bag left if I work up the energy to use it tomorrow. To me, the mixing is the physically hardest part of all.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Okra is similar to a crispy fried squash only better!
    My SIL used to pick them small, maybe 1 1/2 " and fry them whole. Not such a pain in the....to fry that way.
    I love fried okra and my Daddy did too. We used to steal off each other's plate.

• winsomegardener
    11 years ago

Love your pictures, schoolhouse. You did a great job with the boxwoods. I especially love the hedge that is a fancy D shape (hard to describe--hope you know which one I mean). Thanks for sharing.

Thanks also to you and Sandi for the info re: Lady's Mantle. The spot I have in mind is part shade so it should be fine.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I also like your photos, Schoolhouse. The contrast between the looser shrubs and trees around the edges with the tidy boxwood rimmed beds is lovely. I haven't been visiting this forum for long (Idabean and Thyme2Dig suggested I visit here), so everything is new to me. Your neatly trimmed boxwoods make me think of some of the gardens that Deborah Silver, who writes the blog Dirt Simple and gardens in Detroit, has designed.

Part of what makes Okra unique is its texture, which is a bit slimy (but not in a bad way IMO.) There really isn't another veggie like it, but I don't think it's one of those veggies that you can feel so-so about. Most folks either like it or wouldn't touch it IME.

Sandi, I am seriously impressed with your work ethic! 80 pounds of mortar plus the weight of all the water required, all mixed and moved in one day; no wonder you didn't have much getup and go by the time you were done! It will make that wall look so much more finished, so that when you plant it and add the pots, it will be a delight to see.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I went out to do more on my wall, but when I got the bag of mortar out of the back of my car it was hard as a rock. I was so disappointed. I dumped it in a bed that I haven't gotten to yet. I live 45 minutes from a Lowes or HD so I will have to wait until tomorrow to buy more.
    It's really nice out today so I planted a few verbena and spread more pinestraw. I'm in for a late lunch and headed back out.
    Thank you nhbabs. It is a little rough on my old body, but so worth it. If my work ethic was as good as it should be the wall would have already been finished. LOL