Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

How Far Does Woodland Phlox Spread?

I saw some Phlox divaricata "Blue Moon" today and really liked it. I've never planted woodland phlox, though, because I heard it spread, and I don't want it galloping all over my garden. But this stuff is sooo pretty, and fragrant, too. In your experience, how far does a single Phlox divaricata plant spread?

Comments (8)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

In the right setting, it can really spread and fairly fast however I've never once seen it choke anything out. I think it would be lovely spreading in and out and around many things. Here it really fades into the background once the flowering is complete because the foliage is so low.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I have grown woodland phlox for many years, it is native here and I've also planted a few cultivated varieties. An individual plant doesn't get very large, not more than a foot across and maybe 6-8 inches high, however, it does throw seeds and you never know where they are going to come up. It is naturalized all over my woods garden and I love it! When it isn't in bloom you hardly notice it's there, and unwanted seedlings are easily pulled up or transplanted. When it is in bloom, it's glorious! I have it tucked into all my garden beds, and it comes up along the edges of paths, among the hostas, with the ferns, everywhere!

• mrssims
    13 years ago

I just planted some yesterday, same variety. I am hoping it does spread quite a bit...I have a large "woodland" type area that it will add much needed color to, and the frangrance is wonderful! I looked it up on several sites and it doesn't seem invasive but it will spread. I imagine like anything else it will probably depend on how well it likes its new home! I grows wild here (or something extremely similar does) so I am hoping my conditions are right for it and that I have several new plants from it next year.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I guess I'll give it a try. I didn't want anything that would overrun this new addition.

{{gwi:655257}}

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Beautiful! The phlox will compliment it very well!

• lori_elf z6b MD
    13 years ago

I would guess about 6" in each direction. Mine have never become a problem, in fact, hard to keep going with competition from more frisky plants smothering it.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I got it and planted it. The site is in full sun until the tree leafs out, then it gets shade for a couple hours in the afternoon. I like the phlox already; I get a nice whiff of sweet springtime fragrance every time I go out to that garden.

On another note, I just planted some special lilies in that garden; Ariadne and Eros. Looking forward to bloom time.