Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_indiana

A hardy, tall, constantly blooming pink climbing rose for 5b?

kelly_indiana
12 years ago

Hi all! My brain hurts from researching this question for the past couple months so I am going to the pros! Please help if you can...

Imagine a storybook looking Victorian house with a pink climbing rose twirling up the front porch banister to the roof, 12' from the ground, and then piling itself up (sort of cloud-like) on the roof and draping itself there. And imagine this 15 - 20' or so climbing rose 'cloud' is smothered in lovely pink blossoms (or at least HAS a couple blooms!) all season long - from spring to frost. This magical climbing rose is also cane hardy, climbs FAST, and is naturally pretty darn healthy (I prefer not to spray if possible).

It will be on the south side of my house, enjoying 6+ hours of sun and plenty of fresh air and wind every day. It will be within a few feet of the water hose so drought will never be an issue. We have clay soil which I've amended but it's still clay (if this matters).

Now imagine I'm in zone 5b (Oak Park suburb, just west of Chicago). Is what I'm dreaming of even POSSIBLE???

Would 1 of these be better than the others and if so why? Are there any Chicago or Zone 5B rosarians out there who have luck with these as hardy roses that bloom all season long? Fragrance is unimportant.

THE CHOICES ARE...

Awakening

Jeanne LaJoie

Eden

Cecile Brunner

Zepherine Droughin

The Fairy

New Dawn

John Davis

Viking Queen

Am trying to buy one this weekend at Pesches in DesPlaines (b/c they seem to have a good selection). Any advice will be MUCH appreciated!!!!! I'll be twining it in with Clematis Jackmaani (the new improved version) or Clematis Etoille de Violette.

Comments (15)

• ianna
    12 years ago

Of course these are possible. Many roses are grafted onto hardier stocks. I have a few David Austens and I would have gotten many more if not for a lack of space to put them. if a rose comes with it's own root, then you must choose a hardy rose. If it's not hardy and it's being sold in your area, it is most likely grafted and you would spot the graft union at teh base of the plant.

My all time favorite climber is the New Dawn. but there are many many more to choose from. I love antique style roses. The cupped ones and large blooms for example. I love whites and pinks. Let me give you a link to a supplier based here in Ontario, Canada. Their website allows you to easily check out the possibilities. Look for repeat bloomers, recurrent bloomers or continues bloomers. I know it's probably not going to be feasible to order direct from them because of trade issues but it will at least help for research sake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickering Nurseries

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

It's asking a lot to have climbing roses bloom continuously (or even continually). And when it's very hot, it's better that they take some time off anyway.

As for the cultivars you mentioned. Here, I've never had any repeat on Eden, just a smattering on New Dawn, and don't see much repeat on the Zephirine Drouhins I see in town. The Fairy starts later and does bloom continuosly, but in zone 5, I question whether you could train it as a small climber (perhaps in a protected site).

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

New Dawn will grow as outlined and then some, and will smother itself in blooms in the spring, but is much more sporadic in its blooming the rest of the year. (INHO) Here is mine this week. She is five years old, own root, grown from a band.

{{gwi:655442}}

kay

• Annie
    12 years ago

'Climbing America' is Z4-9.
    She is a large-flowering climber - Salmon-Coral Pink.
    Fragrant - spicy.

'New Dawn' is a beautiful Clear Pink - good if you have a very sturdy structure for it to grow on. Fragrant. (monster rose)- heavily armored with huge thorns.

'Parade' is Z5-9 She is a Dark Pink
    Repeat blooming climber and fragrant. Grows 12-15 ft tall.

'Awakening' Z5-9
    She is a repeat blooming, fragrant climber.
    Medium Pink.
    15-20ft tall. Large-flowering.

...a few to add to the list of possibilities.

~Annie

• poodlepup
    11 years ago

I've been on the same quest for years. Zephirine is a big fat zero for me. The leaves curl up with mildew, the flowers look blown the second they open up. Jeanne LaJoie is a maniac. Once May comes I don't even see a green leaf. It's all pink all the time. But, it has some of the worst thorns I've ever experienced

• poodlepup
    11 years ago

ps. Eden is a tough vigorous, beautiful blooming machine. my only complaint is that she barely makes it to 8' so she never makes it over an arch. Cecile Brunner is too much of a good thing -overpowering and oppressive branching. Also very common

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

Your hampered by a few things...Cold, Climate, Choice , Colour and Rebloom. There is no such thing as a "continous" blooming rose, with much pampering you might get a repeat blooming rose to hold a few buds all summer. But most roses kind of bloom in flushes.

1. Your in a zone 5b, not all zone 5s are created equal, but out of your list, only 3 roses would thrive here.

a. John Davis, is more of a big bush then something throwing out huge canes, it will get to about 8 feet tall or so with support, the flower are nice however, I like this rose alot.

b. Viking Queen, aka Isabell Skinner, Ive seen this rose to about 9 feet somewhere here, in fact I might get this rose this year, I havent decided yet.

C. The fairy, will not climb here, it may get to be a fairly large relax bush over time, and if it doesnt get to crazy cold for the winter.

Everything else on your list wouldnt thrive here, some would die, some would survive to grow and have a few blooms.

The largest climber I grow is baltimore belle, white with sometimes pink undertones, but its a once blooming rambler.

However, if people in your area can grow awakening, or new dawn, that probable fits your bill more then the other roses listed. Both of those would just die back here near the ground every year. Ive known people who bought Eden rose here, Ive NEVER seen it survive though.

Ive seen a William Baffin make it to about 20 feet once, but not sure you want a hot pink , semi double rose. Its not a rose for everyone, but I wish more poeple would play with its genetics and produce tall, healthy, hardy roses for the north.

Here is a picture of William on a 12 foot arch in a new ulm garden in MN.. they put Alot of work chopping this monster to make it grow like this.

{{gwi:243981}}

Silverkelt

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

If looking for disease free and good re blooming, you could try Kordes Jasmina, Laguna or Rosanna. They do very well if purchased own root.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Here's a link from the New England forum that has information on Zephrine Drouhin. It (along various photos from various folks) inspired me to give ZD a try, but she's in her first winter now, so I can't give you much information. I also have a John Davis, one of the taller Canadian Explorer roses, and it has a relatively long bloom period, though later in the summer it tapers off to sporadic blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: climbing rose thread

• Jennifer_Ruth
    10 years ago

When we lived in Z 4 Wisconsin (southwest corner of the state), we had John Davis and Clematis jackmanii growing up the posts at each end of the clothesline. I was pleased with the John Davis, which didn't require coddling to get it through the winter and looked nice even though I never spray. Both the roses and the clematis did fine.

I have grown both Clematis Jackmanii and Clematis Etoile Violette, as well as others, in northern Indiana, which was listed as Z 5 at the time but appears to now be listed as Z 6. I like them both very much, but Etoile Violette is my all-time favorite clematis. The flowers are a little smaller and there are so many of them--very cute. Why not have both? Various clematis have different bloom times. I don't recall how these two compare in bloom time, but they are both very pretty.

Jennifer

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

I would highly recommend "John Davis". It's a very hardy rose with NO winter dieback - at least in my yard. It blooms in clusters of pink beautiful flowers. I wish I could post a pic of mine. It's my favorite pink climbing rose.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

New Dawn is the rose that climbs up the houses in Nantucket.

But if you really want to get to the heart of rose-growing culture on Nantucket, the place to look is at climbing roses. New Dawn simply canâÂÂt be beat. ItâÂÂs the pink climber that is most popular in Sconset, seen climbing up on cottages, large and small, often reaching the ridge of the roof. The worldâÂÂs first patented plant, New Dawn is a sport of Dr. W. Van Fleet and is similar to its parent in every way except for New DawnâÂÂs very reliable repeat bloom. It is quite disease-resistant and very hardy, withstanding winters that are windy and cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantucket Roses

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Silverkelt, Viking Queen (Phillips 1963) zone 5 is a different rose than Isabella Skinner (Skinner before 1964) aka Victorian Memory zone 2. The Fairy, Climbing is rated hardy to zone 5.

Kelly_indiana, curious to know - which rose did you pick?

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

My mom is in zone 5 and she has two large, lovely Zephirine Drouhin roses that are climbing up and over her deck. And the deck is at least 3' off the ground. One rose has grown up over, around a baker's rack (on the deck) and blooms in that entire corner!

I bought them (own root from Northland Rosarium) and they did not do well for me. So, I gave them to my mom their first year...and now three years later they are gorgeous!

They aren't supposed to like humidity (we have a creek) and that might be why they didn't do well here. My mom is up on a hill, but has more wind and cold winters. They still do beautifully with little or no winter die back.

I've read that New Dawn is a bear to keep trimmed back, due to thorns, but it's a really tall climber. Might work if you tied it back when it's young...and invest in very tough gloves, or maybe gauntlets :)

Sponsored