Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachgrub

banana tree in a cottage garden??

beachgrub
11 years ago

I believe i have a cottage garden but am toying with the idea of putting in some musa basjoo banana trees, is this gonna look ridiculous?! I live on a beach and also like the tropical look of the banana leaves but can't imagine how it'll mix well with daisies, pansies, daylillies etc. Has anyone tried this? Slap me now if this is crazy and spare me the $ i would waste!

Comments (7)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Why not if they'll grow in your zone. Depending on where one lives dictates what one can grow. Cottage gardens are not exclusively english it's a style of gardening, full, no bare earth, rambunctious, do your own thing, I say go for it :).

Annette

• ianna
    11 years ago

You are in zone 4 and therefore that may be pushing it. Musa Bajoo can do well in zone 6 but I am not sure how well they will do in higher zones. Have you come across others who planted these things out in your zone?

For design wise, try mixing the banana with ferns, solomon seal, bleeding hearts (they resemble orchids), hostas (resembling elephants ears), gerber daisies (they grow in the tropics, daylilies -- there's a tropical plant called a suntan - an umbrell like flowerhead with multiple little flowers - so you can probably substitute hydrangeas for this plant. There are gladiolas in the tropics too. You can use them. What else...... hanging begonias for sure. 5 o'clocks, balsam, cosmos.. and a number of annuals which actually originated from the tropics.

Ianna

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

Ditto Annette's post. It's YOUR cottage garden--plant whatever the heck you want in it. Last time I checked, the cottage garden police were busy somewhere down under and didn't expect to get up your way for quite some time.

• beachgrub
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies you guys! I do have a friend growing musas and they're doing well for her here in zone 4 on the south side of her house close to the foundation for heat and protection. I've got the ferns, glads and hostas already so thanks for the pairing suggestion. I was also contemplating rhubarb for the big foliage and hardiness. Begonias is a great idea too, gonna use that. I'm gonna go for it- thanx!

• ianna
    11 years ago

You are very welcome. One thing that came to mind was castor bean but then I recall that this plant is highly poisonous. In fact the source of ricin, a very deadly poison. So forget it. Don't try planting this thing. Brugs is another plant to contemplate but its tropical and needs to be brought it. Jasmine is another one. Add some citrus fruits too. The vine, dutchman's pipe has a tropical feel to it. Another idea is using the tall nicotiana variety. the black mondo grass is yet another.
    Tropical gardens - cottage style. has a fragrant feel during the day and at night. So add as many fragrant plants as you can think of. Lots of white blooms too.

Also play with ornamental grasses too which are very tropical. Some look bamboo-like so that's another idea.

last, if you can add uplights to reflect up to the banana tree and any hanging plants, you will create that tropical feel, definitely.

I feel like I'm back home again thinking of my family's gardens.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Go For It!!! My suggestion is elephant ears!!!

• beachgrub
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great suggestions! See, this is why i love gardenweb! Lol i'm gonna hunt down some of that black mondo grass and i already have zebra stripe i could divide and use. I was also thinking of elephant ears (coleus or taro) but don't want to have to lift anything in the fall so may substitute the rhubarb for that effect.
    I'm out of places for vines and actually bought and then gave away some john clayton honeysuckles- drat! Uplighting the tree is a great idea, would not have thought of that. Thanx!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH