Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Remember the rose arbor?

plantmaven
12 years ago

Cardinals are building their nest just under where the three center roses are blooming.

We really are enjoying watching the construction.

{{gwi:656179}}

Comments (18)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Love it.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

That is beautiful! Which rose is growing on it?
    kay

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The rose is Buff Beauty from Antique Rose emporium.

Hybrid musk repeat bloomer pillar, year 1939.

It is my favorite climber.

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Gorgeous...how old is it ?? I have to have a climber that likes some shade. So far my Zephie is doing great ! c

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I planted it the spring of 08.
    Last spring we had a rain and wind storm that tore the arbor loose and laid the rose on the ground, so it had to be heavily pruned.

{{gwi:656181}}

This is the second house I have had it. Both times it has gotten quit a bit of shade until mid afternoon.

• carrieburgess3
    12 years ago

Well plantmaven, That is just beautiful!!! I love it. I am so happy it recovered from the storm damage. Thank you so much for sharing.

Carrie

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Yeah...thank you !! Do you spray ? I have something boring holes in my buds....I think it is a weevil. I hate to spray but it is really taking a toll...just curious. c

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Diane uses a Bayer systemic at the base.

I don't dare spray anything while the cardinals are building their nest.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

That is so wonderful that the Cardinals have decided to nest. I love it when the birds nest in my yard as I love to watch them. That rose is really lovely.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Beautiful, can't wait to see this. Tomorrow is the day!

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

beautiful! I love the color!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

SO lovely and what a bonus to have the nest! I have always wished for a rose that could take shade-we have no place on our property that gets more than part sun and most is considered dappled or shade. I would love to have a rose arbor or be able to grow roses on the fence!

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

This is lovely. :)
    Can you tell me what kind of edging you have at the base of the arbor between the garden and grass way?

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Trove, those are single bricks cemented in place and topped with concrete.

BTW the birds are almost grown. The parents have been bringing them to feed on the seed we put out.

They hatched May 5

May 14

{{gwi:656184}}

Yesterday, Daddy feeding one of the babies.

{{gwi:656186}}

Today, Daddy on the left Mama in the front and one of the babies in back.

{{gwi:656188}}

Also another couple has begun coming to the yard. First the male for a few days. We thought he might be from last year, so we referred to him as Sonny. Well, in a couple days a female joined him. So of course we named her Cher.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

That's so wonderful you were able to get pictures. I didn't realize the babies grew up so fast.

The pics show the edging well too. :) I guess the cement keeps the grass from creeping in between.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the pics, I too LOVE attracting birds! My friend has a hanging basket that some birds have nested in, so cool!

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A couple hours ago I saw the shadow of something large fly into the ash tree. There is a family of 3 owls sitting up there. I hope they are not eyeballing my little dog.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm