Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Would ya' Rather...

Have...

1) Free plants from your favorite nursery every month for a year OR Free service from an expert garden crew (mowers, pruners, weeders, builders, haulers, shed painters, you name it!) every month for a year?

2) No Pests (bad bugs, snails, squirrels, deer, etc) OR No Weeds?

-----------------------------------------------------

First one is soooo hard for me. I don't know if I could pass up free plants, but the free help is probably needed more. In the early spring there always seems like there is SO much to be done. It does all get done eventually, but right now I would love someone to prune all the trees and haul away all the branches for me, LOL.

Not even sure myself about the second! I'm so enthusiastic this time of year and happy just to be outside under the sun again that even the weeding is enjoyable. But I know that will wear off soon when the weeds REALLY start poppin' up. But then again, without weeds to pull I would have very little to do in the garden. Those squirrels are kind of getting on my nerves (oh gawd! not the tulips!!! Don't eat the tulips!!!) so I wouldn't mind getting rid of those for life along with the JB and any other hungry bad bugs. Hummm...guess I would still have to say no weeds. I just remembered last summer with that impossible-to-dig-out crop of oxalis in the front and the bindweed out back, Lol.

What do you say? Ps. if you guys can come up with some other fun garden related 'would ya' rathers' feel free to add them ;-)

CMK

Comments (15)

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

uuummmmm lets see - if I take the free garden crew for the first choice then I won't care about the weeds and would go with Pests for the second :D Since I love to WS and start my own plants passing on getting free ones is not a problem and if I had a garden crew all my new baby plants would get planted and not sit in the plant ghetto all year. Yep those would be my choices ......

Lynne

• serenae
    12 years ago

1) A garden crew, definitely. I don't have a big yard, so I have the majority of plants that I'm going to need (yay for Winter Sowing!), but I need lots of work done. Trellises, a new shed, weeding etc., would be sooo wonderful!

2) Hmm. I *think* I'd choose no pests, especially if cats also count. Too many strays use my garden as their litter box, and no pest bugs would make gardening so much less stressful!

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

I'd love to have it all! Hey, if we are going to dream, I chose to dream big! :)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Free labor. I've got big plans.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

No contest, free labor.

Annette

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Free plants...I have some help with big labor jobs (like digging grass out of a new bed) and I'm kind of picky about my gardens, so I'd rather have the plants :)

No weeds...I'd probably miss my deer, if they weren't here (and who would I be trying to out think? LOL) and the barn kitties scare off the rest!

• natal
    12 years ago

A garden free of pests would be heaven sent!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Free plants (as long as that includes shrubs and trees too!) since DH does so much of the heavy stuff in the garden.

NO PESTS!! I would love to have all rodents banned from my garden and they can take the deer with them!

• luckygal
    12 years ago

LOL Since I live in a cold climate and we can only garden for half the year does that mean I can have both free plants AND free labor? ;-D If not I'd take free labor for sure.

I'd take no pests if the free labor includes weeding but if not I'd take no weeds as we don't have that many pests anyhow and maybe I could get that free labor to make my fences deer-proof.

Fun question!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Free plants and no pests! Die Voles!
    kay

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

FREE LABOR!!!! I have yards of gravel/mulch/soil/bricks to get to the very back of my inaccessable yard...sloped yard.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Free labor! I've got enough plants, I need someone to help maintain them all.

No pests! Weeds can be handled but pests are often out of control.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

-luckygal, LOL. Your finding some 'legal loopholes'!! Never thought of that, but you are right. You could have the crew take care of weeding anyway!! ;-)
    CMK

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I agree with gottagarden.

Free labor, I have more plants than I need and all kinds of projects that I could use someone to help with the labor.

No pests, I don't have many weeds as I mulch thickly. Pests (especially rabbits) are harder to eliminate.

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

My young son said his favorite things in a garden are to carry heavy bags of soil, trim tree branches, and admire beautiful plants/scenery. So, it has "haulers and pruners" covered.

My cat Bobby Jones takes care about critters - squirrels, chipmunks, and such. Deer are very rare in my area. However, I am sure, with his personalty he could take on a deer if opportunity presented itself.

Since I got rid of the grass to my HOA's horror and dismay, no mowers are necessary.

So, free plants get my vote!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner