Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Picket or Wrought Iron & ? (pic)

Sandi_W
12 years ago

Here's a pic of the front of my house. Driveway is to right a few feet beyond the large oak. Left side goes about 35' beyond end of house. I can't decide on a fence, but I think I want it about 4' high. The fence will go about where pinestraw ends, but I will be planting a shortish border bed about 3' wide in front of the fence. Which style fence would look best?

Of course I want a cottage bed. I will be breaking the beds up with paths. Left side is full sun and right is only part sun. Foundation plantings will be staying, but pruned back. All other plantings on right side are just to make me happy for now. Any advice on this is very welcome.

{{gwi:656681}}

Comments (22)

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

i think wrought iron goes best with brick houses and pickets are more for wooden or shingled houses.
    but either way, you have a very pretty house and a nice woodsy yard to landscape and garden in. have fun! min

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Another vote for wrought iron, I think it would suit your house perfectly, which I love by the way.

Annette

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you min3. I want wrought iron, but gardening friend says picket so I wanted other opinions.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Annette. This is by far the smallest lot I've ever owned but I fell in love with the house and "I ain't getting any younger" so this is enough for me. I want curving beds and I think, if I can afford it, bricks to line the beds.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Another vote for wrought iron. I love your house and plantings, too. Those arching shrubs (trees?) look wonderful.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

With your mullion style windows, I think black wrought iron would suit too. Kind of olde English. Plus you probably will have less maintenance with the iron except for keeping rust a bay after so many years. Otherwise, you'll be painting a picket fence more often.

That being said, when I looked again at the color of your siding a creamy white or light yellow wooden picket fence would look good too.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

I agree with wrought iron. As soon as I saw the style of your windows I went in that direction. It could have been a toss up for me if you had different mullions.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Do a search on cast aluminum fencing.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

I really like the wrought iron, too, think it would look great along with brick edging for your flowerbed.

Love the look of your house!

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cyn427, the arching shrubs are pyracantha. They are sort of espaliered, but we had a storm last night that broke them loose some. I have to admit I probably would have never chosen to plant pyracantha, but I like them them there.

schoolhouse, it's funny, but I hardly notice the cream. My first thought when I saw this house was English, although I really don't have any idea why.

thyme2dig, there's something about this house that is asking me for wrought iron. Maybe it is the windows.

plantmaven, I just did a quick search on cast aluminum fencing. So many beautiful choices. It just might be affordable for me if I go with a simple style. Of course though, I prefer the fancier ones which are too much for me.

ogrose, It may wind up being a choice of fence or bricks this year so the fence will win.

• natal
    12 years ago

Another vote for wrought iron or cast aluminum. There should be zero maintenance with the aluminum. We're replacing a powder-coated steel kitchen garden fence with aluminum. It started rusting from the inside out within 6 months of installation.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natal, I read your post about your fence rusting. Such a shame. I can't believe they don't warranty their fencing. I didn't know that before.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

We have black decorative aluminum fencing that looks just like wrought iron. I wasn't thinking about that when I said wrought iron, but it does solve the rust problem. We have had ours for six years and it still looks perfect. Ours is not fancy, though-just added to keep newly adopted pups in the yard all those years ago. :)

Wow, never would have guessed that was pyracantha. Love it that way even though it wasn't the plan. I hear you about not planting it if it hadn't already been there. Ouch.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cyn427, did you install yourselves? My son in law says he can do it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

No, we had a company do it since we were installing a lot of fencing. Here, we just put the the aluminum in the two sections on the sides between the front and back yard. I bet your son-in-law could do it. We have gates also and it doesn't seem that it would be too difficult (she says as she sits here on her couch). We would have had to rent/buy a post hole digger and since DH was already 60 at the time, he was not inclined to do it! Don't blame him.

Hope you find something you like. Please post pics when you are finished. I love the look of your house and property. I tried to find pictures of our fence, but I was always shooting the plants or house, so no luck.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks cyn. I'm only going to do the front and 1 short side, but I will need 2 gates. The other side is pretty heavily planted so a simple wire fence is going there and around the back. I'll post pics.

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

Wrought iron for sure.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Another option for fencing is split rail. And if it needs to keep dogs in, you can put woven wire behind it. It would be a very different look, more rustic and woodsy, but it's less expensive. I think it's usually treated lumber, so it lasts well and doesn't require any maintenance. Just a thought. And I don't know how gates would work. Hmm.

Martha

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Martha- I was thinking the same thing. Split rail, unpainted.

It's a beautiful house.
    Renee

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hadn't thought about split rail although I've always liked them. I don't think I can afford cast aluminum along with everything else I want to do this summer. I really have to make a decision. I'm even considering black chain link. I know, bad me!

• natal
    12 years ago

Don't do chain link. Do without until you can afford something nice.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

natal, I know. I just get so impatient to get everything done. I moved here with no plants and have no gardeners in my family to share. As much as my grandparents loved gardening it's hard to believe I'm the only one that inherited the love. I guess the fence can wait.