Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Anxious to trim boxwood but.....

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

...will we have another freeze soon? like right after I trim it all? Suppose I could cover it so that any new growth doesn't get burned but what a chore. Perhaps I could trim the teapot and tea cup topiaries at least, those wouldn't be so hard to cover. Nice day for it today, too; decisions, decisions.

Comments (11)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I trimmed the pot and cup anyway. Needs more tweaking but I ran out of enthusiasm and put the scissors away.

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

Fingers crossed for you & your boxwoods. The teapot & cup are so cute. We have a freeze warning for tonight--third night in a row--but after that it's supposed to only dip down into the 40's & 50's at night. I just do not trust Ma Nature to let us get through May without at least one more frost (if not worse) considering she's been so fickle already. My hydrangeas got zapped in March and probably won't even bloom this year. They've been draped in sheer curtains clipped on the stems with clothespins the past two nights and the curtains won't come off until tomorrow around noon. I'm a zone warmer than you are but you may have a micro-climate where your boxwoods are growing of which I'm not aware. I've only cleared winter debris out of one bed so far, in anticipation of Mother Nature's wrath/revenge if I clear away leaf and straw mulch from others too early. Today was sunny but windy and winter jacket cold so I left the beds as they were until it begins to warm up again.

• ianna
    11 years ago

post photos. Ive been trying to create a teapot out of yews but I'm not getting it right. Need some inspiration.

I already trimmed my boxwoods several weeks ago. They are producing new growth but none have been affected by the frosts we've had lately.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

schoolhouse, I hope any freezes don't hurt your boxwoods. And yes, please post new pics on your teapot and cup.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Took these this morning. Weird yellowish green light out in the garden today, not very good photos. Kind of blurry too, sorry.

Cup is coming along fine. The handle is finally coming together, probably another two years before at it's best.
    {{gwi:656782}}

{{gwi:656784}}

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I just can't imagine the patience and talent it must have taken to sculpt the teapot and cup. They both look great.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. The spout on the pot gets higher every year, it could do with a bit of re-shaping. I was thinking of planting white allysum around the bottom of it this year or purple. What do you think?

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I think white allysum would be perfect. Lacey like a doily.

• ianna
    11 years ago

ditto. the flowers will look like doily or even a saucer.

How did you create the handles? did you use wires?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Used coat hanger wire and twisty ties for the handles on both pot and cup. Like this, shown in an early photo:

{{gwi:622246}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm. Not sure what happened to pic. Here it is:

{{gwi:656785}}

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia