Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
back to a pet peeve

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 13:18

Hello All,

Neighbors, strangers from other blocks walk their dogs through our neighborhood. Their dogs regularly pee in my garden bed killing off some beautiful thyme I've been trying to get to cover up an area...

What do I do? I'm searching for a plant that is supposed to deter dogs but I've forgotten the name. I've searched through herbal catalogues and came up with zilch.. Does anyone remember what this plant is called. It's got a dense leaf. Reminds me of a coleus but green and have thicker leaves.

Ianna.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: back to a pet peeve

Here you go :).

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Plectanthus caninus

o

How outrageous of those dog-walkers to not keep their animals out of your flower beds! It makes my blood boil and makes me want to put up a sign in your garden where they couldn't miss it -- "If your dog uses my garden as a toilet, I shall follow you home and then send my dog/kids to use your front porch in a likewise manner." [ and I'm not altogether certain that I'm kidding, either. grrrrrrr.]
Hope you can get that plant and that it works!!

o

I'd put a polite (but obvious) sign right at the edge of the garden saying something like 'Please keep your dogs out of my garden'. Worth a try at least.

o

It is bad for a dog walker to "allow" their pets to pee...but sometimes they sneak in a squirt so fast that all you can do is jerk them away with the leash...still if the plant is sensitive it's too late. I have some creeping oragano that is very pretty, similar to thyme, and my dogs pee on it all the time with no affect. (I will not be using this particular oragano in my spaghetti however.) :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here