Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Second Spring for the Spiral Garden (lots of pics)

peachymomo
9 years ago

I never got around to posting more pics of my new spiral garden last year, but I did end up planting 5 roses and this spring I found a birdbath for the 'dot' in the flower bed. The flower seed mix I planted last spring had a mix of annuals, biennials, and perennials and this year the biennials and perennials are really taking off.

{{gwi:657220}} View from the deck.

{{gwi:657221}}View from side entrance.

{{gwi:657223}}View from the back.

{{gwi:657225}}Birdbath, the birdies love it and I love watching them use it.

{{gwi:657227}}Clematis 'Henri' is just starting to bloom and is totally covered in buds.

{{gwi:657230}}Abraham Darby will be the first rose to bloom.

{{gwi:657232}}Right now the Columbine, Johnny jump ups, and Forget me nots are taking center stage.

{{gwi:657235}}I love the pink columbine contrasted against the baby blue Chinese forget me nots.

{{gwi:657237}}It's hard to believe that last year at this time the Spiral Garden only had tiny seedlings in it like these new planters right now.

Happy spring everyone, thanks for looking!

Comments (29)

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Oh my, very very beautiful. You got those from a seed mix? If I should be so lucky. Great reward for all your hard work. The design and choice of other plants creates a wonderful area. Love the stone work too.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I did the rocks myself, I found them in a back corner where a previous owner had made a raised bed, they were mostly covered in dirt and overgrown with blackberries. My boyfriend thought I was crazy for digging them out, hauling them around the yard, and huddling over them for days as I chose which went where, but once it was done he was surprised and impressed by how good it looked.

This is the best result I've ever gotten from a seed mix, I took great pains to amend and till the soil, and then I covered it with a compost/mulch that was supposed to help with seed germinating (keeping them moist and whatnot.) But I think the biggest factor was that I watered every day until the seeds had sprouted and the plants had gotten large enough that they had strong roots. It was a huge pain in the neck, but it was worth it. BTW, the mix I planted is called 'Fairy Meadow' if anyone wants to give it a try.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

What month did you sow the seed? I tried a pack of mixed seeds the year before last and was disappointed. But perhaps I should have been more attentive like you and would have gotten better results. Re one of my other posts, I'm trying seed balls this year but not too sure how early to plant - er - toss.

Isn't working with stone satisfying? In the beginning you have this pile and think it will never come together and then like magic it all fits like a puzzle.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The packet said to plant 1-2 weeks before the average last frost date, which for me is April 15, so I planted the last week of March and first of April.

I love stone in the garden, I think it's in my DNA because my Mom, Grandpa, and various other relatives all do the same thing - each in a slightly different way ;o)

This post was edited by peachymomo on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 17:45

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Our last frost date is supposedly April 18th. but we can still have frost up to May 6th. I think it said. Darn, I should have worked some ground up today. Altho I really want to toss those seed balls into the weed and wildflower patch. Lots of new growth coming up in there now so I bet I should sow the seeds asap. I know you are suppose to do as you did, make a nice weed-free spot but I'm going to try it anyway.

Your Abraham Darby looks great. Mine is more of an apricot color. There are small leaf buds on some canes but others look like toast. Have a notion to cut it way back to the ground and see if it will send out new ones.

Oh and I wanted to ask about your gravel paths, what type of gravel did you use?

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's decomposed granite, looks nice but doesn't work as well as 'they' say it will. Seeds germinate in it no problem, and although it's hard as concrete when dry it does soften when wet. I have a different area with 3/4" blue chip gravel and it is weed free, but it moves around more and doesn't look as nice.

For your seed starting you might try just covering the existing growth with a good layer of compost and tossing the seeds into it, I've done that before and though it wasn't as good as the fully prepped soil it was better than nothing. I have also scattered seed among the weeds before and had success, but they were all native wildflowers and there were plenty of weeds keeping them company.

Good luck with your garden this year!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

What a lovely garden you have created ! I love the idea if a spiral , it's so original over just a center island ! ( which would have been my go to idea! ) and what a great result you had from the seed mix . Please post more when you have more to share ! :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I keep thinking where I can put a spiral flower bed now.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A 'snail' garden would give you a spiral in a smaller space, if that appeals. I wanted to do one of those originally but I had to have a path that was wide and swooping so there was room for one grey water and two septic tank covers. I have to say that I am so proud of coming up with this idea, it was a difficult area to work with and I think I did a good job of making lemonade out of lemons.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

peachymomo, what can I say other than brilliant, very creative.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

That is a very cool idea, and so well done. Good job.

ThinMan

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

I like the foxglove that seem to be flourishing. Were they difficult to establish?

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not at all, the ones in the planter were from nursery 6-packs last year and they took off right away and bloomed like crazy. They're looking even stronger this season, and I'm noticing little seedlings popping up here and there. I chose foxglove because gophers leave it alone, but I think it was perfect for various reasons.

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Things are growing quickly and the roses in the spiral have started to bloom, so I thought I'd post a few more pictures.

{{gwi:657239}}
    Foxglove

{{gwi:657241}}
    Golden Buddha rose with violas and pansies.

{{gwi:657243}}
    I thought this was a pretty view.

{{gwi:558065}}
    The roses are a little hard to spot in all that color, but the closest is the orange 'Golden Buddha,' farther away are pink 'Abraham Darby' and pale yellow 'Joyce Barden.' 'Thisbe' and 'Daybreak' Have yet to bloom, but they will soon.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

So pretty.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!! And my favorite shape too! :)

Yes ..... so magical! :)

• kathi_mdgd
    9 years ago

Beautiful and that clematis is to die for.Tfs
    kathi

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

Oh ... Very beautiful ! I enjoyed that so much !

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, I love getting feedback!

{{gwi:657246}}
    'Henri' is my new favorite photo subject, those big white flowers just make beautiful pictures.

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

I am mesmerized by those beautiful foxgloves. IMO, that is one of the "must-have" plants that define a classic cottage garden. I need to get more this year - they never come back for me but I cannot be without them. Great job on the design and execution overall - your sweat equity was definitely not wasted.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

You have created a true heaven! Thank you so much for sharing with us ! The foxgloves are amazing. I think our hard winter wiped out most of mine. I only see one! I will plant more cause they are so beautiful. Great job! Lesley

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Wow - gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous.

I've always avoided seed mixes because I was afraid they'd look too messy... You have proved me wrong. I love your roses and Henri, clematis are one of my absolutely favorites. I want to buy so many & I have so few places for them. :P

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting followups to show the progress of this garden. Your spiral is quite lovely! I am intrigued by how well the mathematically precise spiral contrasts with the wild abandon of the flowers. The clematis in the center is a lovely touch.

You are in a different zone from me, but you may want to deadhead some of the forget-me-nots. Around here, what started as a few little plants over three years seeded into the lawn and spread over a garden area of 12'x20'. It took a lot of weeding and a good layer of mulch to get things somewhat under control. Just my experience.

• widdringtonia
    9 years ago

I want to walk your spiral garden and just stop every foot or so and smell and admire the plants.

• sahmjay
    9 years ago

love your garden peachy. was trying to email you but no email contact info.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

That is just so pretty! I think your prep work is the key. That is where I often fail-I intend to do it, but end up with a half-way effort which is really never enough. I cannot get over your foxgloves either. You entire place is simply amazing! Thanks for all the pictures!

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

Your garden is absolutely beautiful! What a lovely place to spend time in. To step outside and see those incredible foxgloves would be a dream come true!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Okay, just came back to choose a picture or two to add to my clippings. You know what I think we need? An aerial photo! Heehee. Would suggest you climb up on the roof, but that just wouldn't be safe. I suspect I will be returning over and over to look at your lovely garden.

• nulty
    9 years ago

Hi peachymomo,

I can well understand Clematis Henry being your favorite photo subject,..he is stunning and you placed him in a great location,..fantastic display of foxglove they do put on a great display in a large group,..congrats on the seed mix it certainly did you proud,..moving all those stones was hard enough work but they do look so well and i love the shape you made,..loved all the pictures.

Philip

Sponsored