Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My heirloom Daffodil

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 13:35

This daffodil was growing in my garden when we moved here in 1965, there were sprinklings of it around the neighborhood in several yards but they have disappeared. I've never know which one it might be until yesterday, I took a picture and posted on the Name That Plant Forum. Not much time lapsed before I was given a link where I might match it up with one of the old timers. Bingo, I think it might be "Argent" apparently quite rare. Can anyone here confirm this?

Although it probably wouldn't win any prizes on the show bench today I love it, it even has a faint sweet scent. My little clump is thriving right beside where DH stacks the firewood, sometimes it ends up under it if I don't get out and stand guard. I've tried transplanting it to different locations but after a couple years it peters out so best to leave it where it's happiest.
There's another oldie on a bank close to us, this one is a double maybe 'Butter and Eggs'. The property where this one is growing was appropriated to cut a road through to the highway. I think I should rescue at least one :).

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My heirloom Daffodil

Wow, that is really neat!
~Renee

o

That is absolutely beautiful. Why don't you take a look at the website of Old House Gardens? The owner, Scott Kunst, is an expert on old bulbs of all kinds. If it's not in his catalog, and I bet it is, he will know what it is. He and his catalog are among our true garden treasures. And the catalog is luscious to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old and heirloom flower bulbs

o

I wish I had some of those daffodils, I really like them. You're so lucky.

o

Ginny, that is exactly where I think I found out what it was, scroll down to 'Argent', it sure looks like the one I have.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirlooms

o

Did you see the "Royal Wedding Sampler" via the link to "Old House Gardens" on the site you posted the link to? It's in honor of William and Kate, I think it would be fun to plant.

o

School, yes I did see it, Lovely, I'll have to look around and see if I can find those up here.

o

What ginny12 said...times 10! What a gorgeous daff!! I'm fortunate my mom & brother planted lots of them that I get to enjoy every spring. My brother especially since he planted lots of different varieties that I recognize in catalogs when I look through them. Nothing as elegant as yours but fun and colorful after the long, dark, cold winter. This winter was longer, darker and colder than any I can remember so I'm really enjoying the spring flowers.

o

That's got to be one of the prettiest daffodils ever. I just love looking at it!!

o

That is a truly beautiful daffodil
kay

o

The other oldie I said was growing on a bank by the side of the road :). Dh went and dug it up for me, he had to go through a ditch and climb up the bank to get at it. It had just about disappeared in the tangle of blackberries covering that area. Well I know what it is going by the Heirloom link above. It's Van Sion (1620) the flower is rather ratty looking from being abused by the blackberries but here's a couple of pictures of another oldie.

There use to be quite a few of these in this spot but the blackberries have done them in.

Annette

o

What a treat. And so glad you found out what they are. Just beautiful.

o

Oh so sweet. I had tons of old narcissus that I dug up from around an old falling down Southern cottage years ago. I left them all at our last home. I wonder if they would let me come get some. Argent was definitely one of them. They have such a sweet fragrance here. c

o

Beautiful daffs! I have a few old fashioned ones: many that were already here, and a few that I was given from a cemetery so that I could keep the strain going.

o

Argent is beautiful and how special. Thanks for sharing.

o

How pretty, so glad you have saved them.

o

How special! Love those unique daffs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here