Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulips and daffodils take over my front yard (pics)

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 13:39

I have been waiting for the early tulips in the front yard that are planted in front of the daffodil display to get into gear blooming. Finially got some good pictures. The daffs have put out the spring show and now with the tulips, it just has so much color.

Photobucket

The left side of my front yard.

Photobucket

Front view.

Photobucket

Here you can see that I have daylilies planted in front.

Photobucket

Another view.

Photobucket

And my favorite view of the tulip section.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulips and daffodils take over my front yard (pics)

What a show! It looks like a field in Holland!!heh heh! Lovely!

o

Wow Rita! What a display. You obviously put a lot of thought and hard work into your gardens! you should win the front yard of the spring award in your neighborhood, for sure. Cant wait to see your next round of pictures!

o

WOW!! That looks fabulous! You have VERY lucky neighbors.

o

Rita,

do you buy new bulbs every year or do the ones planted come back?

Carrline

o

What an amazing display of beauty!

o

That sure is pretty. I think voles ate all my tulips. Daff did fine.What do you plant there when tulips are done?

o

really impressive!

o

The tuliups and daffs in the pictures are all newly planted last fall. I am planning on them coming back LOL! I plant zinnias later for summer color.

o

Here some are in the same area today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I am so green with envy!

Kathy

o

What kind of tulips are they? So pretty!!

o

These are 200 of an early tulip mix that I bought from Scheepers.

o

Rita, simply beautiful! So bright and colorful. Must make you smile every time you see it.

I have been considering adding spring bulbs to some of my gardens, but I hesitate because I hate the look of the dying foliage. Do you plan to leave the foliage as recommended? Or will your daylilies cover it as they grow?

o

That certainly says SPRING to me! Just lovely, your neighbors are very lucky.

Only . . . where did you get the sunshine? You must be living in an alternate universe, sun hasn't shone here for a long time . . . .

o

We have have many rainey days here but lots of sunny ones also :-))

What I do is snap off the seed head part of the stalk on the daffs every few days and or cut (at the very top) off the dying spent flowers. In that mixed daff collection pictured wave after wave of flowers opens. As some finish, others start. So deadheading keeps the mixture looking good even now and they started weeks and weeks ago. In fact they started the very, very beginning of April.

Photobucket

Here is how they look now with the last wave flowering and I have cut off all the spent blooms leaving the flower stalk.

Photobucket

Here you can see the daylily folliage running in front of the tulips. It should make the tulip folliage much less noticable. Again, as soon as the tulips drop their flower pedals, I will snap off the very top of the stem which has the seed head.

I just leave folliage, don't much worry about it. I find it's gone on it's own soon enough and there is always something else going on in the garden to look at.

In the two belgium block mini terraces running accross which is were the daffs are, I plan to plant zinnias for summer long color. I will use seedlings and just plant them between the daffodil folliage. I am sure there will be some lang time there between when the daff flowers are all gone and I get my zinnia seedlings in. I haven't even startted the seeds yet as it has been too cold. But I have been growing zinnias in that front section for the past two years. This was before I put in the belgium block mini terraces late last summer. That then allowed me to plant the area in bulbs last fall as planned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here