Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Tulips and daffodils take over my front yard (pics)

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I have been waiting for the early tulips in the front yard that are planted in front of the daffodil display to get into gear blooming. Finially got some good pictures. The daffs have put out the spring show and now with the tulips, it just has so much color.

{{gwi:12222}}

The left side of my front yard.

{{gwi:12223}}

Front view.

{{gwi:12224}}

Here you can see that I have daylilies planted in front.

{{gwi:12225}}

Another view.

{{gwi:12226}}

And my favorite view of the tulip section.

Comments (15)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

What a show! It looks like a field in Holland!!heh heh! Lovely!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

Wow Rita! What a display. You obviously put a lot of thought and hard work into your gardens! you should win the front yard of the spring award in your neighborhood, for sure. Cant wait to see your next round of pictures!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

WOW!! That looks fabulous! You have VERY lucky neighbors.

• carrlinesue
    13 years ago

Rita,

do you buy new bulbs every year or do the ones planted come back?

Carrline

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

What an amazing display of beauty!

• koszta_kid
    13 years ago

That sure is pretty. I think voles ate all my tulips. Daff did fine.What do you plant there when tulips are done?

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

really impressive!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The tuliups and daffs in the pictures are all newly planted last fall. I am planning on them coming back LOL! I plant zinnias later for summer color.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here some are in the same area today.

{{gwi:12227}}

{{gwi:12229}}

{{gwi:12231}}

{{gwi:12233}}

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I am so green with envy!

Kathy

• merindah
    12 years ago

What kind of tulips are they? So pretty!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These are 200 of an early tulip mix that I bought from Scheepers.

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Rita, simply beautiful! So bright and colorful. Must make you smile every time you see it.

I have been considering adding spring bulbs to some of my gardens, but I hesitate because I hate the look of the dying foliage. Do you plan to leave the foliage as recommended? Or will your daylilies cover it as they grow?

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

That certainly says SPRING to me! Just lovely, your neighbors are very lucky.

Only . . . where did you get the sunshine? You must be living in an alternate universe, sun hasn't shone here for a long time . . . .

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have have many rainey days here but lots of sunny ones also :-))

What I do is snap off the seed head part of the stalk on the daffs every few days and or cut (at the very top) off the dying spent flowers. In that mixed daff collection pictured wave after wave of flowers opens. As some finish, others start. So deadheading keeps the mixture looking good even now and they started weeks and weeks ago. In fact they started the very, very beginning of April.

{{gwi:622762}}

Here is how they look now with the last wave flowering and I have cut off all the spent blooms leaving the flower stalk.

{{gwi:622765}}

Here you can see the daylily folliage running in front of the tulips. It should make the tulip folliage much less noticable. Again, as soon as the tulips drop their flower pedals, I will snap off the very top of the stem which has the seed head.

I just leave folliage, don't much worry about it. I find it's gone on it's own soon enough and there is always something else going on in the garden to look at.

In the two belgium block mini terraces running accross which is were the daffs are, I plan to plant zinnias for summer long color. I will use seedlings and just plant them between the daffodil folliage. I am sure there will be some lang time there between when the daff flowers are all gone and I get my zinnia seedlings in. I haven't even startted the seeds yet as it has been too cold. But I have been growing zinnias in that front section for the past two years. This was before I put in the belgium block mini terraces late last summer. That then allowed me to plant the area in bulbs last fall as planned.