Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Rembrandt Tulips

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

Has anyone had luck in finding some good Rembrandt Tulips that the bloom color is something other than yellow with red markings or solid red? I'd even be happy with red with white markings. Years ago I planted a small bed of them and got not only those colors but an actual purple with red markings and an orange with red. Twice I've sent away for Rembrandts and have been disappointed. They weren't cheap either.

Comments (19)

• ianna
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse, I've not grown rembrandts but I did recall that Botanus, a Canadian supplier, has these. Perhaps they also sell them as a mix in the US. Or there may be US suppliers selling them.

Here is a link that might be useful: rembrandt mix

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ianna, but if you notice the colors are the same yellow with red, solid red. Brecks (I think) have a photo on their web site as to what Rembrandts should really look like but I doubt that is what you'll get after you plant their bulbs. Could be wrong, would like to hear from anyone who has ordered Rembrandts from them.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

Have you tried old house gardens?

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Tulips at Old House Gardens

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Didn't see any Rembrandts at that site tishtoshm, but I saw some "Princess Irene". That is a beautiful tulip and I've planted that several times over the years. It comes back true and for many seasons after. I might find a good red/white at Old House Gardens tho, so I'll bookmark their site. Thanks.

• ianna
    12 years ago

well it the only rembrandts I found, plus they did have white and red stripes in the mix.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is Breck's page showing their Rembrandts but I would be surprised if a person got the purple color.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of tulips

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Look for the individual varieties, 'Blueberry Ripple' and 'Raspberry Ripple'.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Rembrandts

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

My apologies schoolhouse, I was just thinking broken tulips. Somewhere in June or July they also add more things to their website so that would be a good time to look as well.

• minpinlady
    12 years ago

I got purple/white rembrandt tulips. I planted these last year and this spring, they grew beautifully! If there is a way I can post pictures to show you all. I got them from Costco and it was $10 a bag (50 tulips in them, 25 purple and 25 purple/white rembrandt) This fall I am going back to Costco to see if they have any others. I love them!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I might be confusing everyone. Rembrandt Tulips are actually a variety in themselves, they looked as tho dipped in paint and really do look like the tulips in the paintings. At least that's the way they were marketed years ago. The colors usually are (were): yellow with red, purple with red, purple with white, red with white and together were called "Rembrandts". I don't remember just purple and white tulips called "Rembrandts". And I realize a person could mix and match some color combos to get the look but I was searching for the old fashioned mix. I think it doesn't exist anymore.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

minipinlady and others - I apologize! I went online to find out just what the deal was with Remb. Here is some info I found. So min you are right when you say you bought purple and white Rembrandts.

"Today actual Rembrandt tulips are no longer available (they're illegal because of the virus), but Dutch hybridizers have bred nice "look-a-like" flowers that duplicate the flushed Rembrandt look.
    The distinguishing feature: a light colored tulip with deep red, purple or ox-blood broken stripes, flushes or "flames."

Among many 20th century Rembrandt cultivars are:

Red and white 'Union Jack',
    Orange flushed with purple �Princes Irene�,
    White and purple flecked 'Shirley',
    Deep rose and white 'Sorbet',
    and primrose yellow and raspberry �Mona Lisa�."

• ianna
    12 years ago

Schoolhouse,

after a bit of researching myself, I learned that it was the virus - a blight, that caused those original tulips to come out with unusual markings. So this was the reason these tulips are no longer available. Confirming what you have said.

Many that are now sold are look alikes and may be found in other cultivars. All of the following varieties have Rembrandt colouring, although (in terms of size, form, flowering time, etc. ) they also belong to other classes:

1. Single Early: Keizerskroon* (red and yellow), Prince Carnival (yellow with red flames), Princess Irene* (orange with purple streaks)
    3. Triumph Tulips: Ice Follies (white with dark red flames)
    4. Darwin Hybrids: Burning Heart (white with red flames), Olympic Flame (yellow with red flames), Orange Bowl (red with yellow flames)
    5. Single Late: Cordell Hull (white with red flames), La Courtine (yellow with red flames), Sorbet (white with raspberry flames), Union Jack (white with cherry red flames)
    6. Lily-flowered: Mona Lisa (yellow with red streaks)

In other words, you'll have to look into other classes to get the colour combination you've been searching for.

Ianna

• Plaidy
    12 years ago

Ah Rembrandts. I remember seeing those when I was a kid and I never forgot them. I did get a package one year from Vesey's but I believe Botanus carries them. Can't go without them now - they are a must

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Just saw this post as I have not been on this forum awhile. Yes, those original virused ones are not sold as they are illegal, thank goodness. No one wants a virus! But there are Rembrant types and I have ordered the Rembrant mix at Brecks myself for this fall so we will see what colors and how much variety I get. I also plan on ordering the Rembrant mix from Scheepers after they update their website in mid May. So I will see if that mix is any better or different than the one from Brecks.

I have seen the purple flamed tulip Rembrants Favorite (sometimes sold as Rems favorite) for sale. I can't tell any difference in the pictures between that one and Bluebery Ripple. But then I don't actually have either to be able to compaire for myself.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rita, I have ordered the Scheepers mix before and they bloomed yellow/red flames and solid red. That was nearly five seasons ago and they only returned once. This Spring I had a yellow with red flame come up and bloom outside the original bed! :)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

That sure doesn't sound like what I had in mind. Now I have to decide if I really should get the scheepers rembrant mix or not. As to returning, it does not surprise me that they don't return. You know how tulips are. Poor returns.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wonder what info Scheepers could give you over the phone in regards to what to expect as far as colors?

Certain colored tulips seem to return better than others. I had red tulips come up along the side of the house for years and years like clockwork until I began mowing the spent foliage down for whatever reason. "Daydream" tulips are very long lived, so are "Pink Triumph".

• DYH
    12 years ago

Although these aren't Rembrandts, I took these photos and labels of tulips at the Jardin des Plantes, Paris in April 2011.

We just returned from Paris again, but I didn't make it to the garden because a friend said not much was in bloom (cooler weather compared to last April).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tulip varieties at the Jardin des Plantes, Paris

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I have been thinking on it and the idea of red splashed tulips didn't do anything for me so instead of the Scheepers Rembrant mix I am just going to order some of the white and purple flamed tulips, Rembrants Favorite. And also Sorbet which is a Rembrant type. Then going to plant a mix of those two.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!