Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyintexas

Clematis question

happyintexas
16 years ago

I crave the beauty I see posted in some of your photos...those lovely clematis vines and blooms. Imagine how *surprised* I was when a bulb package hopped into my cart at a local big box store. snicker, snicker.

This is a jackmanni (sp!?!) I'd like to grow this near a porch post on the south side of my house. Too hot? This location gets more afternoon shade than most places in my yard, but would still be considered full sun.

If this vine grows, will I need to cut the vines back each year, or do they stay in place like honeysuckle?

I've read they need cool roots, but do they like moisture?

Thanks for holding my hand as I try something new. I've learned so much from this forum. Much of the pretty in my yard is because y'all have taught me something new.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Soul

Comments (5)

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

Jackmanii is probably the most popular of all the Clematis -not as fancy as some varieties, but who doesn't love the big deep purple blooms! It's a teriffic variety - it's one that doesn't disappoint.

We kind of plant them in any exposure here where summer heat might be 80 degrees, but an Eastern exposure is always the ideal. I do know they like their roots cool/shaded, but that can be accomplished by planting a low shrub, etc. in front of it - perhaps some mulch if you're a mulcher. They do like water, and a moist (not sopping) soil especially at mid summer. Someone might know different, but once established rain fall might be sufficient or should be, at least, included with other garden waterings.

Once yours gets established...Jackmanii is a "Group 3" mid summer to mid fall flowering type. They bloom on the current season's growth. Therefore, they should be cut back in late winter or very early spring. Start by removing any weaskened or dead stems. On the remaining stems, look for large swollen buds starting from the ground up. You can lop off any stems above the last of the buds. If you can't identify the buds, simply cut back each stem to about 2 feet above the soil line.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Hi Happy! Your clem should do great in your zone. I find they grow well in the same soil as roses - amended with compost and manure. I have several growing up my climbing roses so they get a dose of alfalfa meal every spring and fall along with the roses and they seem to love it. I also give them a dose of organic bone meal in the spring.

Duluth covered the pruning but if you need more help pop into the Clematis forum. Lots of good advice over there.

Diana

• HerbLady49
    16 years ago

I have two Jackmanii. One I cut 6" above the ground because I want bloom from the bottom to the top. The other, which grows on a tall arbor, I prune about 8 ft from the bottom, because I only want blooms on the top. Both are planted in full sun, but I underplant with shallow rooted annuals. Clematis love being watered deeply, but don't like standing water, and fertilized every 3-4 weeks during the growing season. A new Clematis benefits by being cut back 3-6 inches from the ground, because this will promote more basal growth.

• flowerangel
    16 years ago

While my clematis are getting established I like to set a large rock at the base to shade the roots until other plants get big enough to shade them. Happy gardening!!

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

I've found the people over on the clematis forum very helpful. One of the tips they gave me when I was starting some tiny clematis plants last year was to plant them very, very deep - like you would tomatoes! You bury most of the plant. It sure seems to have worked. The plants appear to be extremely strong and one has had buds since it was only a few inches out of the ground this spring!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery