Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting a butterfly bush - good or bad

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 13:47

I've an established butterfly bush. the white, yellow and pink variety. It seems I planted it in the wrong spot and in it's place I would like to put in a small tree. What are the chances of it surviving a transplant? It's been there for nearly 5 years.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting a butterfly bush - good or bad

Hi ianna,
5 years in the soil will mean the roots are very well established,..and the important thing is to ensure they are not damaged,..there is a lot to doing the move than just dig up and move elsewhere so i will give you the link with lots of info on transplanting it.

Tips For Transplanting A Butterfly Bush

Philip

This post was edited by glengarry23 on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 16:23

o

I would not hesitate to move this type of plant to a better location.

You needn't worry if you do a bit of root pruning when you move it as that can actually be very beneficial. I'd also prune the top before moving. Another thing that can help offset transplant shock is to water with diluted alfalfa tea.

o

Transplanting butterfly bushes is easy. They are hardier than many other shrubs. I moved two in early summer, but early to late spring is better, I thinned the bottom growth and the top for easier transport, Dug up as much of the rootball as I could handle myself, then put them in their new home. I watered the bottom of each hole first, then put the plants in. After filling in around them, I watered again. Later in the summer they were both sending new shoots and flowered almost as well as they did before the move. They've been doing really well for the past two seasons. Interesting about the alfalfa tea.

o

I've moved smaller butterfly bushes several times, even in mid-summer. Just be sure they're out of the ground as little as possible and water them right away.

o

We've moved ours a couple of times as well,no problems.
Kathi

o

Thank you all so much for these tips. I'll go ahead and do the transplant.. (feel like a heart surgeon here - LOL).

Ianna

o

Dear All,

Reporting back on this. I finally did the transplant. I was quite surprised to see that the roots had grown as thick as my wrist. This is a plant that had been in the ground for 5 years. So hopefully now that it's still early spring and plants are still just waking up, that the butterfly bush will recover.

ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here