Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Phlox

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Well, I am at it again. I had moved some daylilies last fall and the last this spring so that I could add some phlox at the very back of a daylily bed section. Wanted that old time cottage garden feel but with some fancy newer phlox varieties than my mother used to grow!

I was looking for somewhere that had a great selection of phox that looked great to me and weren't duplicates of the three types I already had but each place was dissapointing up till now. Not enough new to finish the back of my border.

But looking for something completely different, I pulled up Willow Creek Gardens and decided to look at their phlox. Sucess hurray! So I ordered five different phlox. I got Eva Cullum, Starfire, Blue Paradise, Spinners and Flame White with Red Eye. Some are potted plants but some say they are bare eye divisions. I have never planted phox like that before, only potted plants so hope those bare eyes are okay. Still I have ordered from Willow Creek before and they always send great quality stuff.

Comments (22)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I've been growing tall phlox from bare-root plants I buy at Costco Wholesale. Last year I grew Blue Paradise, Picasso, Aida and Europa from bare-root as well as Eva Cullum via seed (winter sown). This year I'm growing Spinners, Icecap, Tatjana and Bright Eyes from bare-root plants along with Sherbert Blend, a variegated form and Valentina. I love them for their long bloom season and vivid colors.

Do you pinch yours to delay blooming, manage height and encourage a bushy form? I don't want mine to get tall and flop over so generally pinch them back end of June.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I have never pinched them. I didn't know you were supposed to :-(( Were do you get all those fancy phox divisions? No Costco here.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

This is the kind I grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fanick Phlox

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

That John Fanick phlox looks a little like the Bright Eyes I'm growing. Very pretty!!

If you pinch the top leaves around the end of June (or when they're about 2 ft. tall) it will delay blooming by a couple of weeks but it helps keep the plants shorter and fuller. I like to avoid staking things and there's usually plenty of other stuff blooming that I don't mind putting the phlox back a bit.

Costco sells racks of bare-root perennials & bulbs in bags every year in March-April--usually 4-10 plants per bag for $12.79. With Costco, if they don't grow you can return them but in 4 years I've only ever returned one bag. I've got peonies I bought bare-root that are up this year and will probably bloom.

I set the plants in gallon pots and let them break dormancy before I plant them in the flowerbeds. This year the phlox selection was amazing and I grabbed one of every kind because with Costco, you'd better buy it when you see it or it won't be there next time you're in the store.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I'm on the lookout for this!...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:658347}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just got a shipping notice e-mail. My order was shipped today. That was really fast!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

If only I could find a true orange phlox. Wonder if that photo is true?

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Try phlox 'miss caroline lingard'. Maculata rather than paniculata. Glossy leaves, much longer bloom time, and super fragrant. My favorite!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My phlox came this morning and I unpacked. The two potted plants are lovely. Good size and growing. Should settle in quickly. I haven't opened the packages of the bare root divisions but all I can see in there with the shavings are some dried out brown roots. I hope those grow when planted.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

The bare-root plants I buy from Costco look like the dried out brown roots you posted above. They'll start sending up new growth pretty quick after planting.

• alanna1
    12 years ago

Hi! I have the white phlox-David in with my daylilies. It is fungus resisent and it has such a lovely fragrance in your garden. I love it! I plan on putting white impatience flowers and white and blue china plates in the back of it. Really a cottage look!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had DAVID white phox for afew years and it was lovely. Lost it when I did some of my terracing work as plants needed to be dug in mid summer and never recovered.

I planted my phlox. I did love the potted ones, really nice plants. On the bare roots, I of course got a much better look at them today planting than yesterday just in their packages. I see the little green new growth starting all around the roots.

I found it confusing as to how to point the roots (all the way down or pretty much horizontal) as the new plants seemed to be all over. Did the best I could. I hope they grow. I guess if they don't I will be looking for potted phlox in the local nurseries this summer. But I would rather this grouping take and I am done with my phlox planting hopefully. I have the new five of them planted along the fenceline in the back of some mostly daylily plants in that area. There are three phlox already there in that garden section, which is what made me want to get more. Those ones I planted two years ago look so lovely when they bloom each summer.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WhooHoo, I got my orange phlox!!! Plus a couple of yellow hollyhocks to go with it!!!;-)

• prairiegirlz5
    12 years ago

That sounds lovely. I am looking for Blue Paradise, I have Laura (short,magenta w/white eye) and orange coneflowers to plant them with.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, all the new phlox I planted are all green and growing, even the was brown looking bare root ones.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Oops, I meant foxglove, not hollyhock. Aftermidnight just gave me some plox, Whoohoo! And earlier this year I had bought a variegated leaf one, so that makes 3 new ones this year!!!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I do have phlox blooming. I forgot about these I bought at Sam's Club about 20 years ago. They are not found in nurseries here in south central, TX. I have moved them from house to house. This is the 3rd house and 3rd year here. They are not staked and are grown in shade until about 5:30.

{{gwi:658349}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very pretty. Reminds me of the old fashioned kinds used to grow here when I was a kid.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful, Rita. I can't wait to see your pictures of them in bloom.

Plantmaven, those are lovely. Very cottage-y.

For orange lovers, I think these peach ones are so pretty:
    {{gwi:658350}}
    http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/4593

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Gorgeous peach ones, and double. Luuuuv them and just ordered them. Like I need more plants, lol!!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found a red phlox at the nursery today so of course I had to buy it.

Sponsored