Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardening shows recommendation?

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 14:04

Everyone,

I'm deprived of any gardening shows. HGTV Canada is such a joke. Our BBC channels do not show anything as well... So now I'm resorting to online, Youtube and such.... Does anyone have any shows to recommend? I love BBC gardening shows especially the kitchen garden types.. but I also love the English shows about garden designing.

Oh.. and while I'm on the subject of youtube.. any good cooking shows to look at? Suggestions?

Ianna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardening shows recommendation?

There are no TV shows that I would recommend. The few currently on air that I've seen have been quick fix or outdoor entertainment, not really what I consider gardening.

There is a thread on the perennials forum where someone from Denmark linked some videos which are gorgeous, but not in English. That was not a problem for me since plants were labeled on screen with scientific names.

There are a few pieces of episodes of "A Gardener's Diary" available on Youtube. I enjoyed the more in depth aspect of that show and would not mind if HnoGTV played reruns of that and I'd be tickled pink if they recorded and broadcast new episodes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden films thread in Perennials forum

This post was edited by nhbabs on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 12:26

o

Thinman posted a link in the thread about How did you start your cottage garden. I want to thank him for it! Spent the last two days going through the shows on you tube. Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Enjoying this one very much

o

Thanks.

o

Have you seen Life In a Cottage Garden, with Carol Klein? It's lovely!

Also, not a TV show, but I am just across the border in northern NY and I like to listen to Ed Lawrence's gardening show on the CBC Mondays at 12:30 (although lately the schedule has been erratic... not sure what's up w/ that!). They archive them online and you can stream them at your convenience too.

Here is a link that might be useful: LIfe in a Cottage Garden

o

Great link Lidiasmomma! Going bonkers here in MN with snow, snow, snow and spring fever making me seriously cranky.

o

freezengirl!! LOVE that link!!!

o

There was another thread with the same topic on the perennial board not long ago with some good ones I watched from there.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/peren/msg0317470615820.html

Here's a you-tube channel with a bunch of good ones. The series are sorted nicely in the playlist section, but there are lots of individual videos too. The hummingbird one is really good too if you are interested in them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGrizzerBear/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Also if you do a you-tube search for "Alan Titchmarsh's Garden Secrets" it should bring up that series. It is four one hour shows each covering a century 17th-20th. He talks about the trends of that century, tours historic and new gardens that represent that style, then has little how-to project sections with something of that style. I have enjoyed all of Alan's shows that I have seen so far as they seem to be of a much higher quality than the American ones, and he is quite like-able. I only wish we had some better shows here.

o

I think more people should E-mail HGTV. And where is the G is their programing. I know lot of $$$ in remdodeling. But also line up at good nurseries. And just seen picture of $2800 day lily.

o

Thanks all. love it all and excitingly watching all these suggestions. I also just located one more or 2. Alys Fowler's Edible Garden and MOnty Don's Fork to Fork series.

Ianna

o

These are some of my favorite gardening shows.

Central Texas Gardener

Gardening in Georgia

Your Southern Garden

Volunteer Gardener (Tennessee) more of this show on YouTube

Garden Thyme (Maine)

Gardener Provocateur (Christopher Lloyd - England)

Finally, I feature many gardens I've toured on my blog.

Enjoy!

o

This is awesome! I'll be busy watching vids for many a weekend ^_^

o

Hi ianna,..i can see you will be well entertained with all the links provided,..from the link below you can view approx a half hour of gardening on most of the series then from those you will see others available.

How To Be A Gardener.

Philip

o

Thanks Philip. I love British gardening shows. If you spot anything else, do let me know.

Ianna

o

My favorite one that I watch regularly is BBC's Gardener's World. It features Monty Don and Carol Klein each week among others. I loved also the above mentioned Edible Garden with Alys Fowler and Life in a Cottage Garden with Carol Klein. I recently watched French Garden's with Monty Don and loved that. I like pretty much anything put out by the BBC. I think I was born in the wrong country. HGTV is just awful. I haven't watched it in years because of the total lack of actual gardening!

o

Ran across another great online garden show:

Growing a Greener World

Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here