Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Remembering Last Spring (pictures)

newyorkrita
13 years ago

{{gwi:658553}}

Roses and Iris in Florabundaville out front.

{{gwi:658556}}

Lupines

{{gwi:586789}}

Clematis tower.

{{gwi:658559}}

Purple Daiseys

{{gwi:658561}}

Roses with Honeysuckle in the backround.

{{gwi:658563}}

Iris Majestic Ruler.

{{gwi:658565}}

Front yard bed.

{{gwi:658567}}

Red Alert Lilies

{{gwi:658569}}

Lilies and more.

{{gwi:658571}}

Summer Flowers

{{gwi:658574}}

These are in the Terraces garden in my backyard near my kitchen door.

{{gwi:658577}}

Another View.

{{gwi:658579}}

Summer Re-Rund Daylily in same gardenbed.

{{gwi:658581}}

A Front yard gardenview.

Comments (14)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

I was just going to hit 'submit' and the power went off, LOL!

Layers and layers of color! I noticed from that one pic that your neighbors don't have too many plantings. It must be such a treat for those around you and going by to see all your colorful gardens. I adore the tierd beds and the things cascading over.

Thanks for the reminder of spring Rita! ;-)
    CMK

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Ahhhhhhhh, I do love your gardens. Soooooo beautiful. My roses are putting on so many buds I can't stand it!!! Your iris and lupines are so beautiful. Can't wait to see what pics you take with your new camera. I hit the nurseries today and came home with a truck load of roses and azaleas but shhhhhhh, don't tell my hubby. lol!

• bonitamariposa
    13 years ago

WOW!!! Totally speechless :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My neightbors don't garden much but most of them love to come around and see what I am doing when they see me planting out in the front yard.

The roses here are just trying to leaf out. I really wish I had more room for new roses and Azeales. Well, the Azealas for sure as they don't need much work, maybe I have enough roses as I don't really want to have to take care of more of them. But they are so pretty.

• carrlinesue
    13 years ago

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beautiful, this is what I dream of mnaybe some day my garden will look that good.

Sue

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Everything is amazingly gorgeous, Rita!!! That purple iris is mind blowing, especially considering I am totally powerless when it comes to iris :)!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That very first picture in this post is one of my favorites from last year. The purple of the Tall Bearded Iris just pops with the red of the roses bedind it and the blue of the catmint around it.

• User
    13 years ago

Holy Smokes!! There are no words for the beauty!! You really have a gift. c

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Gorgous, lush plantings and rich colors. Love your combinations and planting style. That majestic ruler iris is a stunner. You must be eagerly awaiting spring.

Wish I was your neighbor so I could see all this in person!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am soooo ready for the weather to turn warmer and spring to really get going. I have my seeds of annuals, mostly zinnias) to start and am waiting. When I see it all brown and nothing much going on the way it is now, it is hard to imagine it the way it looks later in the year. But I have been working for years to get it this way.

Thank you all for your compliments.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I bet you can hardly wait. I just planted cat mint this morning. It was one of my swaps at the swap yesterday.
    Like CA, we start early and then board our selves in the house with the A/C.
    ? do you have to prune your roses a lot. I have not grown mine that close together.

So pretty, the best is yet to be!

Kathy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I do prune my roses a lot. Each spring I cut them back heavily. And I mean heavily. To about 2 feet tall and these are shrub roses and Floribundas. They put on a masive June showing and then I cut them back after that but not as strongly. They put out their second big flush in August. After that I just trim dead blooms here and there so they end up tall by the time they go into winter. They bloom on and off until the frost gets them in the fall. I leave them like that all winter and prune again in the spring.

Plus since I have my roses so close together not everything works for me. I have gotten rid of perfectly lovely roses because the shrub constantly tried to sprawl and just needed to grow big. That doesn't work in my garden.

You will love your catmint. Such an easy plant that just keeps on blooming. The blue grey color really looks good with anything but especially great with reds and purples. Like some of my iris.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

You gals have inspired me so much, I've been out in the yard getting stuff done, so haven't commented on this lovely eye candy!!! WOW! One day.....

• reginaz
    13 years ago

Your plantings are so lush, I just love the way everything is terraced. You really have done a beautiful job. Regina

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting