Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serendipity or what?

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 14:21

I'm posting this now because some of you already have tulips blooming or they've finished, mine have yet to bloom.

Totally by accident I think I've found a way to fertilize these bulbs naturally, some of you might remember the picture I posted of this tulip I had growing in a half barrel last year.

I was running around looking for places to grow more beans :), I set up a tripod of bamboo canes in the half barrel these tulips were planted thinking they probably would either end up with fire blight or if not they wouldn't be as good the next year so I might as well utilize the space.

I wish the first picture showed more of the half barrel just so you could see the difference. I ran out and took this pic a few minutes ago, not only is the foliage very lush I can count 15 flower buds so far, last year there were only 10.

So I guess the beans fixed the nitrogen in the soil which fed the tulips :). It might be worth experimenting with, no need for any other fertilizer it seems. I love these happy accidents :).

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serendipity or what?

I love happy accidents, too! Of course, there is no such thing as accidents :)!

o

I'll be darn. They are going to be fantastic!

o

Well now, thats to cool! Good for you! Judy

o

Neat-0! Whenever I have peas or beans growing and they are "done" I cut the stems and take the foliage off their support but leave the roots still in the ground to decompose (thought they would do just that, and add nitrogen to the soil).

Wonder if the foliage and vining parts would add extra nitrogen to the soil too, if composted??? I tend to throw all dead veggie plants in the garbage in case they have any disease, but maybe it isn't so much a problem with beans?

PS. Love those fringed tulips! I remember the 'Cool Crystal' you posted pics of last year, but not these. Beautiful! I got some orange fringed 'Sensual Touch' last fall and am SO looking forward to bloom time...
CMK

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 20:36

That is so cool! And those tulips are gorgeous!

CMK, I toss all my bean and pea plants in the compost bin.

o

I can't wait until you show us that pot with 15 flowers! WOW, it's going to be an amazing show!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here