Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

What's blooming lately (Lilac, Roses, Sedum, Statice, Iris)

aimeekitty
12 years ago

More on my blog:

http://aimeesroses.wordpress.com/

First bloom ever on my Descanso Lilac:

{{gwi:659331}}

Janet Inada Rose

{{gwi:250656}}

Spirea rooted from my mother's garden 3,000 miles away

{{gwi:659334}}

Silver Moon Clematis

{{gwi:659336}}

Sedum

{{gwi:659339}}

Statice

{{gwi:659342}}

Daughter of the Stars Iris

{{gwi:659345}}

Mini Daffs

{{gwi:659348}}

Freesia

{{gwi:659351}}

Poppies

{{gwi:659354}}

Duftendes Weisskirchen Rose

{{gwi:659357}}

Autumn Sedum

{{gwi:659360}}

Baby Hollyhocks (with a ladybug)

{{gwi:659364}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Aimee's Garden

Comments (13)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures, aimeekitty, I especially like your lilac, there are some that can grow a certain kind of it in Texas, but I sure haven't had any luck!

We're getting our spring flush of roses, aquilegia, and wildflowers are starting to bloom! Iris is getting ready, not quite there yet...

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Oh how lovely!!! You must really be enjoying your spring

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Those yellow poppies look wonderful, besides everything else.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow, I love that spirea. Do you know the name of it? Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden.
    Renee

• Annie
    12 years ago

Lovely!

I really love the CA poppies!
    That Iris is gorgeous!

My irises are beginning to bud and a few to open.
    My roses have NEVER looked so healthy nor so robust. Covered in buds! Old Blush climber is blooming her heart out. I am so pleased.

Don't you just love those dear little lady bug beetles? Bless their buggy little hearts!

~Annie

• mytime
    12 years ago

Those 2 roses are such yummy colors! And I too want to know that name of that spirea...it reminds me of Prunus triloba, which I have difficulties getting to bloom consistently above the snowline. So if I could find a similar looking spirea that was hardy, I'd be thrilled!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Do you know what variety of spirea that is? It's gorgeous - and PINK (my fav).

tina

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

O.M.G. I think I might be in love with your Janet Inada rose. I'm such a sucker for roses in that apricot/peach/dreamsickle shade. I wish I could take a tour of your garden right now, it loks like it is ablaze with color already!

I think your double pink spirea might actually be a double Prunus glandulosa, or pink flowering almond. Yours looks MUCH better than mine- some years it hardly has any blooms. It is so neat you have a bit of your mom's garden in your own. ;-)

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Thanks for sharing with us...
    CMK

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it's funny actually, I think you may be right about the spirea. I saw a pink flowering almond at Huntington gardens this weekend and it looked a LOT like my "spirea". All I know about my "spirea" though is that one of my mom's neighbors in Charleston, South Carolina, gave her a branch of it, and she rooted it and it became a nice big bush. And then she rooted a branch for me and we just shoved it in my horrid alkaline clay ground here and it turned into the small bush you see now within a year or two. I'm really pleased with it. It seems to root really easily? (though I've never personally tried rooting anything, but my mom didn't use any special technique or anything...)
    {{gwi:659366}}

that's actually the first bloom ever on Janet Inada. I planted it last fall in a pot from a tiny little band. It's grown a fair amount. I'm in love with it myself, I wish you could smell it! :)

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PS:
    Here's another photo of that Daughter of the Stars Iris bloom before it faded:
    {{gwi:659368}}

And here's a photo of the flowering almond at Huntington Gardens (only the photo is mine, not the plant.) The tag on at least one of the white ones said "Prunus glanulosa "sinensis" Chinese Flowering Almond"
    {{gwi:659370}}

{{gwi:659372}}

{{gwi:659374}}

{{gwi:659376}}

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ah, sorry I forgot, one of the flowering almonds is called "prunus glandulosa "alba plena" dwarf flowering almond" I'm not sure which is which from my photos.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Yeah, that is Pink Flowering Almond.
    I grow those too.
    Got my start from a cousin when she had a moving sale years back. Now, I have several growing around the garden.

• Cher
    12 years ago

You have a lot in bloom right now. Everything looks lovely. The rose is beautiful. I also agree that is flowering almond.
    Cher

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus