Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Spring Garden!!

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 14:48

Well, we survived the first winter in this house. Last Fall I planted 298 bulbs for Spring, and they are starting to make a showing, along with a few perennials I seeded last year!!

photo 2014-April013_zps4a25b373.jpgA nice clump of Crocuses
 photo 2014-April012_zps194edd8d.jpgSome miniature reticulated iris
 photo 2014-April019_zpscc984b22.jpgA small piece of my Mum's Jacob's Ladder and a Money Plant that came from seed last year.
 photo 2014-April018_zps30028e36.jpgthe world's tiniest anemones - about the size of a quarter!!
 photo 2014-April020_zps19f7255b.jpgI am hopeful that this is Sweet William - either that or a very pampered weed!!

As always, my helpers lent a hand, or should I say paw!!
 photo 2014-April010_zps4e95534d.jpg
 photo 2014-April007_zps421e93df.jpg

Nancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Spring Garden!!

Looks good! I love your bulb color combos, purple/yellow/white is one of my favorites.

I can confirm that your last plant is Sweet William, I've been nursing along some lookalikes all winter and the first two finally started to bloom.

o

lol, Peachymomo - thanks for the confirmation! I was hopeful. I put a lot of seed in last spring, but someone came and did us a favour and put lots of nice earth into that garden - seeds were mostly buried!!

Nancy.

o

Exciting to see the fruit of your labor. Do you know the variety of anemone? I have a hardy geranium with similar foliage.

o

Doesn't it give you a thrill, that first bit of color telling you spring has finally arrived :).

Annette

o

Oh it was such a long winter - yes - so excited. Schoolhouse - that plant is so tiny I almost missed it - I meant to go back out and take another picture with a quarter beside it!! I'll look to see if I kept the package the corms came in and let you know!!

Thanks all. Nancy.

o

How exciting !! All your hard work certainly paid off and as some of those multiply it will only get better!
You mention it was your first winter in your house, did you move to a much colder zone or have you always been in that area?

o

Lilyfinch - I have always been in this zone, so am used to the winters, they just seem to get longer as I get older. ;-)

Nancy.

o

I am also in zone 4 - and I agree, while the years seem to go faster, the winters seem to get longer - how can that be?

I have very few things poking up yet. I haven't spotted a crocus yet, but a couple of hyacinths and tulips are surfacing. The Iris are the only things that are more than a couple of inches tall. We have a week of rain predicted, so I am expecting a lot of greening-up soon.

On the other hand, in my grow room under lights, I have several things already blooming (started to early?) petunias, bachelor buttons, impatiens, lobelia, and dwarf coreopsis are all making flowers. I just hope I can keep them happy for another month in pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here