Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

Texas Style Cottage Garden

rock_oak_deer
11 years ago

I recently visited the fun and inspirational garden of a friend here in San Antonio and posted it on my blog. I thought you might enjoy seeing it here on the Cottage Gardens forum.

Ragna is known as "Roselee" on Gardenweb and we are both friends of Kathy the "Plantmaven" who posts here too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roselee's Garden

Comments (17)

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I like the urns in the second picture. I agree, the roses are very nice.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Inspiring is right! I could spend hours there and love every minute. Absolutely beautiful.

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Oh my...what a charming garden. I agree that I thought it went on for acres !! She has a lovely sense of design but casual beauty too. Thank you for sharing and I am looking forward to reading your blog too. c

• freezengirl
    11 years ago

What a wonderful garden! I swear looking at the photographs that I could smell all the scents in the heat too, just spectacular! I have bookmarked your blog also, thank you for sharing it with us.
    I just loved the time I spent in Texas working on my sisters landscaping and designing for her property. Everything certainly grows bigger in Texas! Alas I have never been able to get down to visit the Antique Rose Emporium-it is right at the top of my bucket list. I first heard about them through a book I ordered a long time ago: In Search Of Lost Roses by Thomas Christopher. It is one of my all time favorite garden reads, quite fascinating. If any of you that love roses haven't read it, I highly recommend it.
    I will be looking forward to as many pictures as you want to share with us. Nothing quite as pleasurable as seeing a beautiful piece of paradise of another gardeners garden.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

A delightful garden- looks like there are lots of little nooks to explore. Enchanting.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! I'll have a few more posts about the plants and other details from her garden too.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Lovely!!!

• justkristyj
    11 years ago

Someday, I want my garden to look just like this!

• lavendrfem
    11 years ago

Beauty!

• DYH
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I left a comment on your blog, too. Thanks for sharing.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I really like a soft yellow and blue together, it's my favorite. Thanks for sharing your garden, it's lovely.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your comments!

Ragna's garden caught the attention of the producer for our local gardening show Central Texas Gardener and she has agreed to recording a segment this fall. It should air in the spring of 2013.

I have linked to the show's blog which is an excellent resource for anyone who gardens in a hot, dry climate.

I was at Ragna's house again today and will post her front yard soon. Even though it is more xeric than cottage I'll link it here for those who might be interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Central Texas Gardening Blog

• Annie
    11 years ago

I feel very much at home in her garden.
    I love all her garden statuaries! They bring so much life and add so much personality to each area.
    Every inch is inspiring, peaceful and absolutely beautiful!
    ~Annie

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Annie, I feel the same way.

Here's the link to the latest -- a tour of the front yard.
    This is more xeriscape, less cottage, but there are still good ideas especially for those who live in hot, dry climates.

I like the way she combines succulents with roses and other garden plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Part Two - The front yard

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

Wonderful! What a different look from the back yard. You would never know they were the same yard.

I am going to look up the velvet pod mimosa. I absolutely love it.

Thanks for sharing Ragna's yard.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I lurk here every few weeks to get ideas from all of you and just now came across this thread. Thanks for looking at my yard and commenting. Thank you Shirley for making it look so good. I look at the pictures and wonder how I did all that ... LOL! But as cottage gardeners you are already well aware of how -- it's been one foot on the shovel at a time :-)

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're so welcome, Ragna!

All the work has certainly paid off with an amazing garden and well deserved attention.

Thank you all for your positive comments.