Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy geraniums

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 14:50

I started some cuttings earlier and they all took. They are now getting leggy looking.What can I do to strengthen them up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy geraniums

Ooh. Leggy usually means not enough light, and all I know to do is get them into stronger light and hope they thicken up as they grow. Hope they are not too floppy.

ThinMan

o

I have grown many from cuttings. I have had success with just cutting them back when they get either leggy or just ratty looking, which they tend to do. They will put out new growth. You might want to feed them with a little compost, compost tea, or 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer. Don't overdo it.
Laurie

o

Maybe my grow lights need replacing, I have never had to cut them back before.

o

no - it's not that. When you have plants under lights you have to make sure the light is just hovering 4-5 inches above the plants. Otherwise, it tries to reach up towards the light source. Pinch them back and lower your lights to your plants.

o

The reason I know this is because that used to happen to my tomato plants when I grew them under lights. I was told to lower the lights and that worked like a charm

o

sorry didn't realize you were growing under lights. I've never done that before, but grow many cuttings outside.
laurie

o

The advice about keeping the lights close from Ianna is good. If you're not already doing that, it can make all the difference, although you haven't had trouble before, so hmmmmm. I put my lights almost touching the plants, maybe an inch above, and keep moving them as they grow.

TM

o

OK, I will lower the lights, thanks so much.

o

How long to you keep these plants under lights? I once was told to water them at night, and keep the lights on all night until morning to keep mold and bugs from forming. I started my geranium seeds on February 1st, and
they are getting leggy. Should I cutoff the lower leaves and plant them deep? I can't wait to get them out of the house, as I am getting a lot of gnats from the soil. Please help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here