Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Seed shopping again

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Picked up a pack of "Love In a Mist" vine for the bean trellis in the veg garden since I won't be planting green beans this year. I tried this vine once long ago and loved it but had it on a low fence. Also some "Love Lies Bleeding" for the section of dark green, wood picket fence between the privet hedge. Then couldn't resist a pack of white hollyhock seed, they are double blooms looking more like a single with a pom pom in the middle. I usually plant only my favorite single hollyhock but am anxious to try this white, but know I'll have to be patient and hope for blooms next year or the year after depending upon how soon I can get the seed in the ground and how mature the plants become before Fall.

Almost bought some chocolate Morning Glory but wasn't sure if the color would be true as they were further described as "deep red/brownish". Anyone grow them and really end up with brown blooms? Not quite sure where to plant my Heavenly Blue MGs this year so haven't bought any seed yet.

So far I've only planted my Sweet Peas. The ground is much too cool yet for the zinnias and nasturtiums.

Comments (5)

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

I didn't know love in a mist was a vine....huh. Those double white hollies should definitely be worth the wait :) My zinnias are wintersown so they're about an inch tall now and movin SLOW with all these freezing nights. Come on heat!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

I've got zinnias, tithonia, CA poppies, cardinal climber & snapdragons winter sown and the Cut & Come Again zinnias have started sprouting. Like the comment above however, they're going very s-l-o-w. There's no sign of sprouts in my tomato jugs but the radicchio sprouted just today. These chilly temps are definitely slowing things down altho' my WS apple trees are 4" tall already and are potted up in quart pots. The cardinal climber is destined for the split rail fence behind my garage.

I haven't bought any seeds recently but have been going through my stash and picking out a few things I've wanted to winter sow in the past but didn't because I was trying to keep the container count manageable. Finally kept it under 200 this year so I'm using up some annual seeds.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I love passion flowers. You'll have to share pics please.

I finally found some Nigella seeds online and ordered them and some perennial green onions.

I planted 2 packs of Cosmos Sensation Mix, some in 6 packs and some direct. Less than 10 germinated and they are puny. Very unusual for my cosmos seeding. Oh, sowed some white and purple alyssum in 6 packs and will direct sow more this week. That's it for me. I sure need to get into winter sowing.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used to direct sow Cosmos nearly every year. They are a great flower, usually easy to grow, but can reach 4' or more. Once I ended up with monster plants with I swear at least 2" thick stalks! When I went to pull them up in the Fall it was a struggle. Not sure if they were just a freak thing or what.

I saw a pack of Passion Flower vine but am not familiar with how it grows since I've never tried it. How has it performed for you? Love Nigella, so pretty with interesting seed pods too.

As far as the white hollyhock seeds I just bought, I think I'll plant them in a "nursery" bed and see how well they germinate and then transplant from there.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I've never grown passion flower, so can't help you with that. I believe the Love In A Mist vine you bought is a type of passion flower. Besides Nigella, one of the passion flower vines is the only plant I've heard called "Love in a Mist".

I have never had much luck with hollyhocks, but I bought 4 dwarf purple ones last week.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz