Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

How did I end up with all these roses? LOL

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Now that I have to move a bunch (and it's too wet and cold to dig) I'm wondering...how did I end up with all these roses? LOL

I did lose a few to the cold winter and some have to be moved, either because the deer found them or they need more winter protection. Plus, there were a few bare root roses I couldn't resist buying on sale, last month... :)

I gave a few to my mom, because her place is a zone warmer and I hope they'll do better in her garden. Anyone else have too much of anything in their garden? Do you have family and friends/neighbors who will take your extras?

Comments (11)

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

Yup - in the fall, my friends and I always do a garden swap, get rid of things we have too many of and get something new (hopefully)....Last year, people just brought a variety of things. I still have so much room to plant in my yard, that I tend to take all the ones everyone else doesn't want though....

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

lavender_lass,
    You have got to be kidding! I have too much of everything in my garden! And I keep buying. Of course, some things don't do well, or do too well, or don't work out...and have to be replaced which means I get to buy more!

I think I have a place for all the new roses. But I want 2 others...and I can't place them. But don't bet on my not getting them. Ah well. The answer is yes.
    kay

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I have a modest 15...ya, how does it happen!? I bought 5 this year. I fenced my whole 1/2acre so I can have roses!!!heh heh! Took me a year to pay for it! But I feel like the Ruler of my Domain now!!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Lavender, I have a growing collection as well with about 20 on the way and my fav nursery just got in austins to entice me too! I lost a couple also, since I didn't bury the graft( lesson learned!) .
    My mom and I also share plants and my best friend and I do a lot of trading too. Ive also offered some to neighbors but they aren't as interested.

On the way to my garden ( which is sooo not ready! ) is-- buff beauty ,
    bubble bath, bouquet parfait, darlows enigma, ballerina, ambridge rose, Jude the obscure, Evelyn, eglantine ,scepter d isle, graham Thomas, sharifa asthma, glamis castle, cl. Clot hide soupert (2) , lupes buttons, excellence Von shubert, and 2 lavender lassies. Does anyone here grow any of those? I'm really excited to get them. My abraham Darby from last year looks like it'll be very impressive this spring. I just love roses! No such thing as too many!

Which do you grow ll?

Ps, sorry about the spelling, my computer spell checks a little too zealously and changes the names of roses sometimes,

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lilyfinch- Your roses are going to be beautiful!

I have a Lavender Lassie, an Excellenz von Shubert (need a good nickname for her, because she looks like a girl LOL) a small Clothide Soupert (Chloe) and a Gartendirektor Otto Linne (Otto). Not all my roses have nicknames, but these are still so small, their names are bigger than they are!

Also have a Celsiana, Bleu Magenta, Trier, Madame Plantier, two Belle de Crecy, two President de Seize, two Therese Bugnet, four Snow Pavement (these are so cute, but kind of wild looking) a Darlow's Enigma, two Veilchenblau, four John Cabot (on sale at Lowe's) a Lyda rose, two Golden Wings, two Indigo, a Baby Tausendschon (baby) and I bought six bare root roses last month! 2 Fairy, 2 Nearly Wild and 2 Robusta. At the time, I thought some of the roses were going into the kitchen garden.

So, lots of roses (mostly purchased last year) and that's not even counting the ones I've given to my mom...which are 2 Fantin Latours (which I love, but they're not doing well with our cold wind) 2 Ispahan, 2 Zephrine Drouhin (which did not like my location, but love it up at my mom's) and a William Lobb. I would have kept that one, but my mom fell in love with it (as it was blooming when it arrived) so it's now one of her favorites. She has David Austin roses, which are beautiful, but I'm starting to realize that anything that isn't zone 2, 3 or a very hardy 4 is going to need winter protection, in my garden.

Normally, I probably wouldn't be able to list my roses, but since I've been trying to draw a plan as to how to fit them all into my front bed, fairy garden and little bed under the plum trees...I have them all written down, in front of me :)

Calamity J- 1/2 an acre? I'm sure you're just getting started! I'm always amazed as to how many roses people have on the rose forums, and in much less space.

Kay- Your roses are lovely and I can see why you want more! How wonderful to be in a warm climate and be able to grow so many...and they bloom so early!

On greenthumb- It's fun to try new plants and so nice that you have the room. As you get more plants, you may find that you're donating some back, to make room for your new favorites :)

• HerbLady49
    12 years ago

I had to put a stop on growing more roses(my favorite), but I did have a couple of friends who wanted to install a small rose garden and asked for my help. So I'll be able to go visit and enjoy their gardens.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Lavender_lass,
    I got the five roses from Chamblees, and I got the notice that the other two from ARE will be here tomorrow, I was just wondering, Do you think the old "they followed me home, can I keep them"? would work here? :)
    kay

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I am 80 years old I bought several new roses and still want to buy more, Should I forget it @ my age....if I die then what my husband calls flowers weeds and my son who is buying the farm from us doesn't have the time. Do You think I am crazy for still buying. I LOVE ROSES

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Finchelover,
    Of course not! Good grief, you still want more you should buy them. Our roses are ours while we are here. What happens afterward is not important to us. Please yourself and enjoy the roses.
    kay

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finchelover- Buy as many roses as you want! If you love them, plant them and enjoy :)

Kay- Well, roses do tend to congregate in happy little groups...so I could see them following you home, if you already had a few with you...at least, it sounds good to me! LOL

• silvergirl426_gw
    12 years ago

Too many? Nawwwww... no such thing. I have Zeph Drouhin, Fru Dagmar, Carefree Beauty, Gruss en Aachen, Austin Heritage, Fantin Latour , Queen Elizabeth, Pearlie Mae, Betty Prior, New Dawn (it's a beast), Felicia, an unamed pinkie which somebody else tossed, and I just got a Morden Blush. I also have some fairy roses and (I'm kind of abashed to say) Knockout blush. Since I am zone 5b, just borderline, I winterize all the girls very carefully. The Heritage does fine, but Fantin was new last year (I'll be interested to hear later how this guy does in your mom's garden, LL). It got leggy rather than flowery -- And many of my roses took a beating this winter with the snow and ice on top of that. I love roses -- they're so tuf! I just prune em back. The only rose I have that is really borderline for my zone is Felicia, and I think she's kind of tempermental anyway. I got her on the recommendation of a friend who said she has the best perfume. Ok, it's nice, but not that much better than a lot of the others. And two years ago I thought she was a goner because our winter was colder than usual. Martha Stewart recommends both Betty Prior (she has them on the sea wall at her Long Island house) and Pearlie Mae. If it's OK with Martha, it's OK by me. And both those roses are really wonderful. I like the wild, full ones -- no hybrid teas, no spraying or poisons, no fuss. Heritage is my absolute favorite David Austin. A perfect rose, in my opinion. Is there such a thing as "enough" roses?
    lucia

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH