Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

How to balance weeds vs desirable reseeders.

docmom_gw
10 years ago

I have a large yard with many large beds in a woodland setting. Currently the beds contain English Ivy, Vinca minor, Lily of the Valley and an aggressive yellow Lamium. Last year I made great progress in one bed and was able to remove 30' x 40' of the invasives while preserving (transplanting) many Trillium. I left the area mostly bare to keep track of where I'd been and leave it available to plant new things into the space. Just now I've discovered hundreds of garlic mustard seedlings where I was hoping for columbine sprouts. Grrrrrrrr! Anywhere I left the oak leaves and pine needles, there are no spouts--good guys or bad. How can I encourage growth of native seedlings without the invasives taking hold? Also, my neighbors on either side literally vacuum their lawns and beds each fall and spray for Mosquitos before they have folks over for drinks by their pool. They're already shaking their heads at the leaves I did leave for weed suppression and nutrient/moisture retention. Any ideas or suggestions? I also wonder about the legality of transplanting native wildflowers on my own property for the purpose of saving them from chemical or physical damage that may occur as I clear away noxious invasive species. Hope to hear from some of you. TIA

Martha

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals