Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to balance weeds vs desirable reseeders.

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:13

I have a large yard with many large beds in a woodland setting. Currently the beds contain English Ivy, Vinca minor, Lily of the Valley and an aggressive yellow Lamium. Last year I made great progress in one bed and was able to remove 30' x 40' of the invasives while preserving (transplanting) many Trillium. I left the area mostly bare to keep track of where I'd been and leave it available to plant new things into the space. Just now I've discovered hundreds of garlic mustard seedlings where I was hoping for columbine sprouts. Grrrrrrrr! Anywhere I left the oak leaves and pine needles, there are no spouts--good guys or bad. How can I encourage growth of native seedlings without the invasives taking hold? Also, my neighbors on either side literally vacuum their lawns and beds each fall and spray for Mosquitos before they have folks over for drinks by their pool. They're already shaking their heads at the leaves I did leave for weed suppression and nutrient/moisture retention. Any ideas or suggestions? I also wonder about the legality of transplanting native wildflowers on my own property for the purpose of saving them from chemical or physical damage that may occur as I clear away noxious invasive species. Hope to hear from some of you. TIA

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to balance weeds vs desirable reseeders.

This is probably NOT what u wanna hear but all i can think of is kill everything and start anew next year. You couldn't even dig up your faves and put aside because if there's ONE seed or piece of root from an invasive in it you'd have them everywhere in no time. BUT you could (while killing everything off in the beds) have pots and baskets to get you through and i know you're a WSer so you'd have them (beds) filled back up in no time. That's what i'd do. Oh, and screw the neighbors. ;)

o

It's like eating an elephant, isn't it? One bite at a time, they say. I would just keep at it- manually pulling the weeds until the natives take over. You can transplant native flowers anywhere you like on your property.

o

I can certainly empathize with you as 2 years ago I had several dumptruck loads of 'topsoil' delivered to fill low spots in my extended house yard and to enlarge and raise my center bed. Unfortunately that soil was loaded with weed seeds. I spent a lot of time weeding the bed and had any visitor :D who could hold a weedwhacker cut down the others in the outer yard. My weedwhacker is too heavy for me to use. I've finally eliminated the weeds in my center bed and have mulched my entire inner house yard with a thick layer of shredded bark which I hope discourages most of the weeds. It's taken 2 years to get it to a manageable state tho.

Keep at it and don't let those weeds discourage you or win!

I don't know what laws may be in place in your area re: wild plants but if you do transplant make sure you take lots of soil with them as some need specific soil and many don't like to be moved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here