Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Bee balm has gotten MUCH bigger!

lavender_lass
12 years ago

I planted four little pots of bee balm last spring. They looked really nice last summer, but somewhere along the way, they turned into HUGE clumps! I gave half to my mom, but the two I have left are still pretty big. They have room to spread a bit more, but I'm getting a little concerned they may take over the bed. I thought they weren't quite as invasive as spearmint...but maybe I was wrong.

I would rather not move them, since they seem very happy here and look beautiful in the summer (and the hummingbirds love them) but should I be concerned? Can I just dig up the edges in the spring or fall, to keep them somewhat under control?

Here's a picture from last summer :)

{{gwi:320315}}

Comments (7)

• natal
    12 years ago

Mine spreads too. I dig out half of it every year. Have to do the same with the Salvia guaranitica. I'm learning to choose hummer plants that are a little better behaved.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

It's beautiful.
    Most native and wildflower perennial plants are spreaders. They need lots of room, and are natural denizens of prairies. Plan accordingly!!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

It's really pretty, and the hummers do love it. I guess it gets too hot and dry cause it usually lasts only a year or two here. I love the way yours looks in the picture. Beautiful!
    kay

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll keep an eye on them...I have one on each side of the seating area, in the fairy garden. Although I've read they like sun, I put them in the shade garden (with morning sun only) with some columbine, sweet woodruff, pansies, impatiens and a few roses. They all seem happy enough together...at least for now :)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Fantastic looking plants LL. It is interesting, but my beebalm have always done best in a bit o' shade too. In full sun they were much smaller and always got mildewy by summer. I think full sun is too stressful a situation for them over here...

Mine spread too, but I wouldn't consider them very invasive. What I do every spring is take a shovel and dig up all the 'runners' surrounding the main plant, to keep the clump on the smaller side.
    CMK

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CMK- I'm glad you can keep them under control, fairly easily. My husband thinks they're kind of cool looking and couldn't believe how much the hummingbirds loved them.

We were sitting out there last summer and the hummingbirds were right next to us, which is very unusual for us. We're so remote, most of the wildlife is pretty timid and not used to being around people. That little bird kept one eye on us the entire time, but he was determined to visit every single flower! :)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I LOVE Bee Balm! I have been obsessed with them and Coneflower for the last 2 yrs, collecting different colors, I love how long blooming they are and they grow like crazy!!! They make me feel like a gardener...cuz I don't/can't kill em! heh heh!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?