Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluebell?

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 16:40

I discovered this blooming right up through the creeping phlox and English Ivy in one of the small sunken gardens today. It looks like a bluebell, but I have no idea what it really is. Don't remember ever planting anything like it in this spot, and how it managed to push its way up through the ivy is a mystery. By the time I discovered it today, the blooms have become a faded blue. Just a solitary stalk.
Sorry, not a very good photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluebell?

Doesn't look like a bluebell. Maybe a faded Scilla siberica?

o
RE: Bluebell?

Yes, you are right. I was sitting thinking about it, and suddenly I thought about Glory of The Snow or chionodoxa. Because it was so deep in the ivy and had to work its way up towards the sun, the flower stalk became taller than usual. Mystery solved. Thanks, flora.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here