Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

wild Garlic Mustard returns

schoolhouse_gw
12 years ago

While mowing this afternoon I noticed garlic mustard growing along the property line fence so awhile ago I went back down and pulled all I could see. Of course there's a bunch on the other side of the fence on the neighbor's yard and I'm sure they could care less. All I can do is pull whatever seeds onto my side. Plus - three years ago I pulled out 4 to 5 large garbage bags full of garlic mustard from behind the brush pile. Checked it out and it's all back. Just didn't have the energy to start on that big area today.

Comments (4)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Sounds like a lot of work just to get rid of a nuisance weed. I got tired just reading your post! Any chance you can douse it with vinegar? That's my earth-friendly weed killer and it does kill anything it touches. I use it (carefully) on the violets that are rampant in my lawn and flowerbeds. Also pour it along the edges of my beds and granite paths + around my mailbox to kill crabgrass and weeds like Creeping Charlie, henbit, etc. A few weeds here and there don't bother me but the thought of 4 to 5 large garbage bags full is enough to make me think about more desperate (read lethal) methods of eradication.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I remember right the only effective way to get rid of garlic mustard is to pull it out by the roots. I know that certain times of the season states or counties will have "Garlic Mustard Pulling Day" where teams walk up and down highways and back roads pulling the stuff. If you throw it on the weed pile, it will still dry out and spread that seed. I was surprised that my efforts lasted three years.

• grandmachris
    12 years ago

I feel best about mechanical means of eliminating some of
    these weeds and have had the kind of luck you mention, schoolhouse. As I've mentioned before I sort of "fool
    myself" with tricks like "count them down" or "eat them".
    Chickweed, garlic mustard, and nettles, early dandelions get eaten--poison hemlock gets counted down with little spurts like "Ten poison hemlocks while the coffee brews".
    When we first bought this rundown farm 35+ years ago
    1000 poison hemlocks pulled or dug gave us about 10 years
    of relative freedom from them.

I also concentrate on weed elimination in a certain area
    and move around during the season.

I realize I am dealing with a lot more space than most cottage gardens. Invasive bush honeysuckle is the one that
    stumps me.

grandmachris

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I pulled the entire area this afternoon and ended up with four bags, filled about 3/4 full so as not to be so heavy. Afterwards I looked out back and there were two - three clumps at the edge of the farmer's field behind my house. I decided I wasn't going to start on that. So I suppose my efforts are for nothing altho for now behind my brush pile it's clear. The violets and jewel weed are just coming on so it will have a chance now and not be shaded out by the garlic mustard. That's its main effect if it takes over wooded areas especially - grows tall and thick and wildflowers can not compete.