Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Clematis orders from Silver Star Vinery.

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Well, I was a bad girl again but the garden really will look nice. This time it's all Kay's fault LOL!!!!

I managed to order six large flowered clematis from Silver Star Vinery last night. I got-

The President

Asao

Bees Jubilee

Bourbon Euip018

Niobe

Ruutel

But then while on their website I noticed the summer flowered Viticellas. I had avoided these in the past due to prunning group 3 (prune to the ground in spring) as mine are all prunning group two and so are the ones I added. Plus they are small flowered. But they stuck in my mind for the long summer flowering season, often months.

I decided I could deal with the prune to the ground in spring if I kept them away from the large flowered ones. Not wanting to put them together anyway. So I did another order. I got-

Avant Garde

Etoile Violette

Kermesesina

Triternata

Venosa Violacea

Royal Velours

Lots of clematis for someone that doesn't have the clematis crazies like I do with having the rose and daylily crazies (means I just have to get more and more). But I would have gotten none of these if Kay had not posted about her new clematis and Silver Star Vinery. I liked what I saw there and it changed my mind about getting mail order clematis. I had never liked the small plants I had seen mail order before now never been tempted to buy. Not this time.

Comments (35)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Well It is a start! Ha! Ha! Ha! You will be hooked as tight as I am before it's over. Rita, That is going to be so beautiful! Clematis are the sleep creep, leap kind of plant, so it isn't instant, but wow!

I have 2 of the venosa Violacea. I intend to put them on either side of the arbor along with my Joseph's Coat roses (from Heirloom, of course).

I always know the next 3 or 4 clematis I'm going to buy, but I have never bought that many at one time. I have spent far more than that after seeing some of your daylily pics. And I think you are the one who started me on the Heirloom Rose trail.

At a slow time last night (more like 3:00 AM) I was sitting drawing plans for a new area that involved English roses, clematis, delphiniums, fox gloves, Dame's Rocket...you get the drift.

My latest Brent and Becky's bulbs came today: a few tuberoses and some Sprekelia formosissama (red tropical looking things.)

Wow, if we lived close to each other, it might be even worse. I'll bet we could do some in person plant hunting too.

Congratulations on your gorgeous purchases! What an even more glorious garden you will have!

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roses are a lot more work than daylilies be warned. Anywhere on the east coast there is no way to have mondern roses that are blackspot free without spraying the fungicide. And I have no idea if you will have Japanese beetles there or not. I am lucky, don't have any here.

Personally I love the old rose look on the modern roses. You can get the old fashioned looking flowers on modern hybridized roses. As far as the true old garden roses, they are not for me. Nor are the once bloomers. My roses need to really put out or they don't stick around.

I am sure I will really enjoy the clematis. They fit right in with my add more cottage garden flowers plan for this year. But I am sure that will do, at least for years. I do like clematis but never felt about them the way I do about some of the plants I just keep getting more and more of (like the daylilies and roses).

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now the fun part. I have a general idea were they are all going but before they arrive I am going to sit down with pencil and paper and write down were each one goes. That gives me the option of the best place for each plant. Doing color combos nicely and so on.

They are going to ship Monday and they should be here Wednesday or so by priority mail.

• flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

Rita, start digging now. Or you will be truly behind!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After all the annuals I bought yesterday and the fact that I have a big daylily order also coming this week, I should stay behind for awhile no matter how hard I work LOL!!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The clematis got here just now. Six boxes with 2 in each. I just unpacked them and they are still in the plastic bags with newspaper wrapped plants. I did open one and the roots just fall apart so I see why they say plant immediatly and do not open until you take it to its spot with hole already dug. Am going out now to start planting them and then will report back more later.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Came in for a break and some juice. I have ten of the twelve planted. Turns out to be quite the chore. I read the planting directions on site and I am doing it right and adding the compost and all. What is really keeping me going (besides the fact that I have to get it done) are the thoughts of how nice they will all look once they bloom.

Of course when I think up these things its no big deal. I wave my arms around and say I will put one here and one there and so forth. But then time comes to do it all. Put up the trellis, move some other plants, well you get the drift. More work than hoped for. Oh well.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know people here are always saying I have alot of energy. Not today. I am dragging, I mean dragging after planting today. Will take pictures tomorrow and show everyone were the new lovelies went. For right now I quit everything. Going to go make some tea and eat some cookies, watch TV for the rest of the evening :-))

• njmomma
    13 years ago

I also ordered and then ordered again from silver star. And I also ordered Bees Jubilee and Niobe. I need to put them in pots because I don't have their spots ready. I pulled a tendon in my hand the other day so I can barely do much. Looking forward to your pics!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Just got Mme Julia Correvon and Etoile Violette into the ground from Silver Star last night.
    I hope they live here- it gets so hot in the summer. I planted them together on the arbor where the old passion flower vine died.

Renee

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, they don't look like much now just planted. But I think they will do really well. I thought they would really sulk after being sent like that with the soil all loose but aparently they don't mind it.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, all these little cut back newly planted clematis are really happy to be here. They are all gowing really well. When I first got them I worried as it was impossible to plant them and not disturb the roots. But apparently that doesn't matter. Going to look great!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita,
    The ones I got from Debbie are already putting up blooms. I have been nipping any others bloom. these plants are really taking off. Quality shows.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

She sent me one were she did not cut the tops back that was in bloom. It is just gorgeous! She told me to cut it back after it flowered.

I have these things (new clems) everywhere. Plus since I also went for the summer flowering types (new to me) I should have lots of both spring and summer color.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

No doubt you will.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita,
    I ordered a couple from Debbie today. I ordered Comtesse de Bouchard and the President. They are both type 3s and I want to plant them with Ashva on a pillar trellis. I had to go ahead and order since she quits shipping the end of May.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know THE PRESIDENT is gorgeous. I have seen the other is very popular also. I personally love them on the towers. But I am done for this year buying clems. I figgure 19 new ones should hold me until next spring LOL!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I think 19 new ones would hold most people. After getting clems that are growing so fast from Debbie, I won't be buying clems I can get from her from anyone else in the future.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For me 14 from Debbie and 5 bought potted locally. How much you want to bet the ones from Silver Star Vinery outdo the locally bought potted ones by the end of the summer?

I was just looking at some of the Viticellas here that are growing like gangbusters. They were only planted on May 5th.

There are some clematis she has on her website that were sold out by the time I discovered that place. So we will see what I find early next spring. I am happy for this year and can easily wait. I know, what a shocker LOL!

• memo3
    13 years ago

I love clematis! I have Contessa de Bouchard and she has the prettiest little flowers but hasn't really thrived in my garden. I just moved her from the ranch and so far she's doing good, no die back. You two's gardens are really going to be something when all of these clematis take to blooming. I can't wait to see them!

MeMo

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I figgure the group 2 large flowers will not bloom this year but the Viticellas, which are summer flowering and prune group 3 should bloom. If they had been here for years, they still would have been prunned back like they were for shipping. That is how they are supposed to be pruned each spring. So I am hoping for and expecting blooms on them.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I just came in from the garden, I just have to say if you like red look for 'Rebecca' I had forgotten I planted this clemie at the base of my Mayor of Casterbridge rose last fall.
    I was very pleasantly surprised, it IS a deep ruby red. You know how they enhance the pictures in catalogs, well this one is living up to the pics I've seen of it. I was going to take a pic of the flower that was open but the darn slugs have had a go at it. I guess this makes about 30 clemies in the garden now, another one of my addictions I just can't stop buying them LOL.

Annette

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, oh. I don't really need another plant crazies, I have so many already. But the clematis are so wonderful this spring.

Thirty clems sounds like a lot but I just realised that I am not far behind you. Added 19 this spring, had about 6 here already.

I do like red and will look for it next spring :-))

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Annette, I planted a Rebecca last year, and I allowed one bloom this time, then pinched her back since she needs to grow bigger. I wish I had gotten her from Debbie, but hers are sold out for this year. It is a really red clematis, isn't it? Not at all the maroon like my Niobe that is blooming now.

I will be carefully watching the fast approaching daylily bloom this time. I suspect some of the ones in my garden now won't be there next year.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:662222}}

This is one of the class 2 clematis from the vinery. Look how its growing already.

{{gwi:662224}}

And here is one of the vitacellas. On the right. Its really going. I was surprised to see that the leaves look quit similiar to the leaves of the little trumpet vine sharing the tower with it.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Clematis came in today's mail and I already planted them. It's only four vines so no big deal to get done. Lovely little plants.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

My rebecca is blooming today! I had overlooked the blooms since she had buds on the top, and the base is somewhat shaded...Look what she did!

{{gwi:582937}}

and closer up:
    {{gwi:582939}}

I think Rebecca is a beautiful color!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love it, so red. You know I like red. I don't think I have ever seen a clematis that vivid a red.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Just wanted to let you enablers know you convinced me to order. I picked out some last year and then never ordered them, so no excuse this year. I ordered:

Countess of Lovelace
    Crystal Fountain
    Daniiel Deronda
    HF Young
    Lincoln Star
    Nelly Moser

These will go around my screen porch and help cool it with their shade. I purchased Arctic Queen late last year, so it will be part of the group as well. I had Nelly Moser and Jacmanii at my last house and really miss them.

I don't chime in much on this forum, but I always enjoy your pictures Rita.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I absolutely love the selection there at Silver Star. All kinds of rarer goodies as well as my old favorites. Enjoy your new Clematis, they will be lovely. And thanks for comliments on my garden pictures.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WOW! That Rebecca is gorgeous! I noticed all the clematises I planted last year are coming up!(6), one that I bought late in the season, was left in the pot it came in, has no growth,"florida sieboldii", but the vines are still bendable?, so it may not be dead?! I also moved a clematis(was here when I bought the place), and repotted 5 babies for the Horticulture Plant sale, and they seem to be doing good. It is a purple one, I think jackamani, I moved it about 2ft over and it will get more sun now, with huchera hiding its base, and this adorable tiny delicate ivy...I LOVE the stuff! It has tiny white flowers, maybe it reminds me of my childhood favorite, chickweed!lol! (ate the stuff!) I bought a clematis from a guy, a red one but don't know what names are on most I buy(plant sales are so much cheaper) I may have to buy one of those clematis books and start identifying them.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita, I love red flowers too and I had to have Rebecca. There were some postings about Rebecca being wine, not red, but mine is fire engine red and has been from the start! bev2009,
    The plants from silverstar are exceptional. You will love them...and everyone on these forums is an enabler...especially Rita:)

Calamity, That is how it goes...first you buy an inexpensive plant, then another one...then you see one you have to have, then you see a lot you want....

I have one that came in a somewhat disasterous buy when Chalk Hills was closing...I don't know what it is anymorw, but it is growing in the shade of New Dawn (along with Julia Child) and I can't get any closer to get a picture (that is one small cane of New Dawn in the foreground).

{{gwi:583682}}

Any guesses?
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Kay, I had never heard of Silver Star Vinery until you mentioned your Clematis from them last spring. Of course I then went and ordered a whole bunch of vines. That's the way it goes with me. No will power. No resistance. I just need lots of flowers in my garden :-))

Your Clematis are lovely.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Thanks, Rita. The clematis are getting old enough to look pretty. You know that I know exactly how it is since I have ordered so much you had enabled me about. Daylilies, roses, lilies....
    kay

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

What ever happened with Debbie Fischer of SilverStar Vinery? She sold great clematis plants.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio