Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

Need backbone plant advise for front yard! (garden photos)

aimeekitty
12 years ago

Hey folks! My garden is in it's 3rd year now and I'm kindof reevaluating things and would like some advice on what I could do to improve.

Mainly I'm considering adding some boxwoods or some other type of evergreen shrub to get a bit more structure in, but am not sure the best places for these in my current yard.

I have a fair amount of roses that are about 2-3 years old, they aren't super big yet, but they WILL BE.

I'm in inland southern california, relatively mild winters and hot dry summers. Alkaline clay soil. This front yard area, part of it (closer to the porch) gets shaded by the house periodically through the day, but mostly it's a full-sun or very bright-shade area.

shots here:

http://aimeesroses.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/full-front-yard-shots/

Here is a link that might be useful: Aimee's Blog (garden shots)

Comments (10)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Hi Aimee, I'm sure no expert, but from looking at your pictures, I wouldn't do anything this year but let it grow and fill in, then take another look next year. It's amazing to me how much everything (especially the roses!) grow over a year's time. Then take a look and see what needs to be done...

I love what you've done, it looks great!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Looks lovely!!! Good job so far! LOVE the clematis!!!!

• ianna
    12 years ago

beautiful. Your garden is getting along. I would suggest one or 2 large evergreen shrubs set by the porch area to provide a backdrop for your yard. These plants would balance everything out and you can add more flowery blooms as you wish thereafter.

• mnkitty
    12 years ago

Hi Aimee,

I love seeing your pics. I agree with planting evergreens along your front porch. I would pick ones that are high enough to give you the feeling of privacy when you're on your porch, but low enough to allow you to view your lovely garden. I'm definitely not a professional; that's just what I think I might do.

Love the pics. of La Reine. I got one last year (can't wait to see it bloom). How is it's rebloom?

I Look forward to seeing backyard pics.
    Kitty

• natal
    12 years ago

Great change in a short time. It looks like the trees have been staked the whole time. Typically a year is the recommended max for staking unless it's a very large tree. They need to be able to move.

Here is a link that might be useful: staking trees

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Agree with waiting a bit. Which direction does the house face? What trees are there (and what did they do to deserve being bound and gagged? lol). Also agree with natal on letting the trees go free range unless you're in a very windy location. Where exactly are the roses and any other sun lovers? You wouldn't want to shade them with the evergreens but I do agree you need a little something to anchor the bed visually.

tj

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

Everything is really coming together and looks very nice. I'll leave suggestions to those more in the know.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks guys! much appreciated!

I was thinking maybe a medium to low shrub inbetween the Madame Alfred Carriere climbing roses on the pillars,... like perhaps Myrtus Communis?? (in a line bordering the porch there)

I'd like to add more lavender and nepeta in various spots.

I didn't know anything about the trees, honestly, so I don't know whether I'm supposed to set them free or not.
    Are they strong enough now? The development put those trees in 3 years ago. We ARE in a pretty windy location. I had to set concrete for my arbor to keep it from blowing over! D: It's not as windy as places that get their windows broken, but a couple times of year we have the wind howling around the house for sure.

I was thinking more evergreen shrubs, not trees, as like you said, I don't want to add too much shade.

If you read the page, I say exactly what most of the roses are in various spots, but:
    La Reine
    Baronne Prevost
    Heavenly Pink
    Sophie's Perpetual
    Queen of Sweden
    Gruss an Aachen
    Lyda Rose
    Felicia
    Penelope
    Madame Alfred Carriere
    The Prince
    Archduke Charles
    The Doctor
    Gruss an Coburg
    ah, and probably one or two I'm forgetting right this minute.

The sun rises behind the house, roughly. So the house is mostly facing west, a bit on the south side of west, but west.

Both La Reine and Baronne Prevost, they're about 2-3 years old now, I haven't gotten really good rebloom on them yet. I get a really gorgeous spring flush and a few flowers later. But I'm hoping as they mature I'll get better rebloom. (both are my only Hybrid Perpetuals) It seems like they eventually should get good rebloom though as Rogue Valley Roses lists Baronne a 4 out of 4 on rebloom, so thats a pretty good rating.

• happyintexas
    12 years ago

In addition to a few evergreens near the porch, you might add a few low growing evergreen groundcovers to the front of your beds. In my area that would be a dwarf yaupon or lirope maybe...a clump of three or four plants in a couple of places to give definition, especially in the winter.

If your trees have been staked for three years, they are ready to be free.

• ianna
    12 years ago

Use Japanese box or a bay laurel as a backdrop. They will be perfect canvas to display your flowering garden. For front and low growing evergreen kinds of hedges, you could try something different. How about a cluster of parsley. Not only are they herbal they are drought resistant as they have long taproots. I spotted these being used in Quebec. It took my breath away when I saw pretty they looked.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio