Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Bought Beautiful Columbines Today (pics)

newyorkrita
12 years ago

I have this section of my garden planned for Columbines. So I just couldn't believe it when I saw all these absolutely gorgeous Columbines at Home Depot today. Now before you laugh, our Home Depot has a fabulous nursery section. I can't tell you how many of the plants and especially shrubs in my garden are from Home Depot. Anyway, here are pictures of the ones I bought.

{{gwi:662464}}

{{gwi:662467}}

{{gwi:662469}}

{{gwi:662472}}

{{gwi:662475}}

I bought a flat of violas, some cucumber plants, some little daisy like flowers, potting soil and some more fertilizer also. Oh and two flates of impatients. Let the planting begin :-))

Comments (23)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Oooohhh . . . those are SO beautiful! I might just follow your lead and create my own little Columbine Corner! I have a lot of them here and there on my little green acre.

I too succumbed to temptation at a local nursery that fortunately/unfortunately (depending on your point of view) I pass every day going to work. They had their own nursery-grown columbines at a price even I could afford so I bought a yellow one and a blue one. The flowers on the blue one, 'Songbird Blue' are 4 inches in diameter--biggest columbine flower I've ever seen. Both plants are loaded with buds so they're gonna put on quite a show.

{{gwi:374235}}

{{gwi:230867}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those are very pretty. They only had the two tone types that I bought but I liked the ones that I chooze. I bought some small plants of the songbird series last year and they are growing nicely this year.

• reneestauffer
    12 years ago

Very pretty! I've always been happy with anything I've purchased in the Garden Center at HD. Plus it satisfies my need for instant gratification.

~Renee

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Those are beautful Rita! I especally like the red (surprise, surprise hih)?

kay

• lynnencfan
    12 years ago

I have columbine all over my various gardens - all of mine are originally from seed from my mothers garden over 15 years ago. They reseed everywhere but over the years most have lost the bi-color feature. I love the McKennas Giants and plan to wintersown some this year to introduce the bi-color back.

Love that red/white one - so vibrant .....

Lynne

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think they're all pretty but I love the purple one! I know a lot of people say blue/lavender, but that one is definitely purple :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't have any particuliar colors in mind for my Columbines before I bought any. I do like the ones with long spurs and love the bi-colors. I just picked what looked pretty to me.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Pretty, pretty, pretty!

When the seeds dry, just scatter them around where ever you want more. I always scatter seeds at the time they begin to fall, as I figure Mother Nature knows better than seed package directions.
    The few that do well here grow very well from seed.

{{gwi:653738}}

{{gwi:662480}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very pretty. I am planning on letting them self sow after they bloom. Should work :-))

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

Yes they will self sow.Mine are starting to bloom now as well.I have the pink/white, purple and other colors that i can't remember now.Will have to look thru last years pictures or wait for them to bloom.I love columbines!!
    Kathi

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I planted them today. It looks so pretty what with all the different colors. Especially as the tulips and daffs are blooming directly in front of them. I will take and post a picture tomorrow so you can all see.

• scully931
    12 years ago

I LOVE that third one - the blue, almost whitish one.
    And I wouldn't laugh at buying from HD. I too have bought lovely flowers from them. Got some good ones at Lowe's this year too!

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

WOW!! Rita,I LOVE them red and white ones. Gorgeous, really gorgeous.the others are pretty, but not like them red and white ones.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did plant them all yesterday and do laugh at my Columbines all from Home Depot but they were so pretty and their prices can't be beatten. I really had nothing in this garden last year and just planted bulbs in the fall. I am now officially calling this the Columbine garden LOL :-))

{{gwi:662482}}

{{gwi:662484}}

{{gwi:662486}}

• jenangelcat
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Columbines are my favourite flower.

• msrose
    12 years ago

How pretty! My favorite is the red & white. I bought my 1st Columbine this year and it also happened to be from either HD or Lowes. It was White Swan which had really big blooms. Unfortunately, it looks like it's dying, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Columbines are my favorites, too! Your garden is wonderful Rita!

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

They really look beautiful all planted.
    kay

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Rita and Eileen..love your columbines. I have a lot and they reseed like crazy. I have McCann's and they are pretty tall. I planted clementine blue and reds last year and didn't care for them. They didn't get tall. I don't have any of the fancy varieties. I have quite a few packs of seeds that I acquired at the seed swap in Feb. that I haven't planted yet. Some of them are blues, burgundy/black(I'm betting it is a Barlow variety)They are completely maintence free and mine are ready to pop with color if we get a few days of warm sunshine and no rain. The shasta daisies are also ready to bloom. I have a "woods poppy" that was given to me last year. In fact, I think I have two of them.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I'm with you pippi21 about the clementine columbines--I don't really find them as elegant as the classic, long-spurred forms. Same goes for those "bonnet" or petticoat types. The long spurs of the songbird columbines really ring my chimes bloomwise. I like the pastel colors in spring too altho' that red in the first photo really pops!

• newbiehavinfun
    12 years ago

rita,
    They look lovely. I especially like the light blue columbine.

gardenweed,
    I am in the same boat as you: I pass by a Home Depot (with a very nice nursery selection) on my way to and from work. Yesterday on my way to pick up my daughter after work, I bought a rose. Today I bought it a companion. Tomorrow, perhaps some stock--between the stock and petunia, the nursery section smells heavenly.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I was a busy girl and moved a small Columbine from another garden to finish off this one.

{{gwi:662488}}

{{gwi:662490}}

Closeup of some of those Columbines.

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I bought some last year and my daughter gave me hers and None came up. I heard they will revert back to the "old" type. Are you finding this problem

Sponsored