Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

Pretty plant I bought today

plantmaven
10 years ago

I was doing some research on Althea aka Rose of Sharon.

I saw this picture and had to have one. Now I need someone to dig a hole for me.

Comments (12)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Beautiful,if I were closer i'd help you out!!
    Kathi

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is going to sound like a whine, but I don't mean it that way. My oldest son lives with in 45 miles from me. But he is so busy with his job and church.
    If I asked he would, but I don't want to ask.
    If I wet the soil and sit on the ground I will eventually get a big enough spot.
    BUT...if you want to come, I would not mind. lol

• girlgroupgirl
    10 years ago

That's beautiful! I have a similar rose of sharon but the color is more subtle. I really prefer yours!
    I had someone to help me dig holes, but unfortunately his help didn't work out in the long run. My hubby isn't around during daylight hours much (and when he is, last thing he is doing is digging me a hole). I just bought two large shrubs, some lorapetalum because they grow FAST (I need to screen out the neighbors driveway partying habits, and perhaps create a little sound buffer)...I've vowed to dig one shovel out of a hole every day until I get a hole deep enough. Then hopefully I can talk hubby into taking a 7 gallon plant out of the pot and putting it in the hole for me.
    Wait until he sees the new red maple I chose for the side of the yard...it's 15 gallons.....

• Annie
    10 years ago

GGG,
    I think we married fish that came from the same mackerel barrel. :(

Kathy,
    Check out your local Boy Scouts of America. There may be a young man (teenage boy) trying to earn his Eagle Badge Award that would help you with the digging and other jobs you need done and not would not need to be payed since he would be doing it for a Civic Project.
    Just an idea.

This post was edited by sweetannie4u on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 12:39

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

It's really unique and I love the edging and ruffles.

• koszta_kid
    10 years ago

I also like the colors. We have one close to house right buy back door.And yes Boy Scout a great idea.BIL was scout leader.And they earn badges.And get grants later for college.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Kathy, what a great score :). I don't think I've ever seen one as pretty as yours, does it have a variety name?
    I'm still fortunate enough to be able to dig most holes until it comes to getting through landscape cloth impregnated with tree and couch grass roots then DH takes over with the mattock bless his heart. I still have one little area to do but it'll have to wait until the fall.

Annette

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GGG, it reminds me of the paper flowers we used to get in Mexico.

Annie, thanks for the idea. You always rock.

Annette, the name is Danica. The article I read stated that it was from a man here in TX about 1982. And introduced to the producer by the nursery where I bought it.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

That's a very pretty flower - I hope you find someone to help.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Very pretty bloom. I always get to do the planting myself too. I have learned I can plant most anything, it just takes me longer...sometimes a lot longer. You will enjoy that beauty for a long time.
    kay

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it is wet out there after the wonderful 5" rain we got.
    No errands to run today. I think I will my blue digger thingy out. It breaks up the soil and I can take the clumps out. This area has lots of lime stone veins and slabs .
    It is supposed to be in the mid 80's today and late Thursday/ Friday a.m. mid 40's.
    Crazy weather this spring.

• susie_gardener_2007
    10 years ago

Your flower is so pretty! I've never seen one like it.

Sponsored