Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Delphiniums For Quilt_mommy

In an attempt to not hijack the foxglove thread, I started a new one for delphiniums....

quilt_mommy, delphiniums are happier in well drained soil, and they don't like our eastern clay very much. Also, delphiniums are slug candy and I think that's what happened to the delphs I planted between the roses a couple years ago... I was starting to think delphs were really annuals, LOL.

The only delphs I can overwinter are the bellamosa types; they look like blue or white larkspur with slightly bigger flowers. Here is a picture of one that I grew from seed:

{{gwi:663964}}

I think I also have a Connecticut Yankee delph that overwintered for me, unless I mislabeled it and it's really another bellamosa....

Speaking of growing delphs from seed, they do really well when wintersown. I am not sure if they actually require cold temps, but it sure doesn't seem to hurt them. Unlike many seeds, delphiniums seeds must be completely covered before they can germinate. I poke little holes a half inch deep in the potting soil, drop a seed in each hole, and cover it back up again. The seeds I sowed back in Dec are just starting to sprout now.

If you want to give delphiniums one last try sometime, see if you can get your hands on some delphinium bellamosa seeds or plants.

All the best,

Lois in PA

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County