Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Help me pick my garden statue

Hi everyone! Ive been lurking and enjoying your beautiful spring pictures, But my computer seems to give me a hard time posting here. I think it's fixed now so I'm back to chat and I know I could turn to you all for help deciding on the statue for the center of my rose garden. I've been agonizing for the entire winter over this. I finally have it down to 2 contenders, each beautiful in their own way . I will admit i dont have a water feature planned so if the bathing lady screams "needs water! " dont be afraid to say so! I kinda feel like she should be by water but she is so elegant...

So without further ado, I present to you,

The bathing lady....

{{gwi:664603}}

Or daydreaming girl...

{{gwi:664605}}

They both are so pretty and i can't take the indecisiveness any longer! Sorry i dont know how to flip pictures on photobucket. Thanks for voting! :)

Comments (21)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Decisions, Decisions, looking at both of these beautiful statues I can see why you are having a hard time.

I'm visualizing the bathing lady in amongst ferns and hostas with the sound of trickling water in a shade garden.
    The young maiden would be my pick for a rose garden, but that's just me. Good luck with your decision, when it comes down to it it's what will put a smile on your face as you pass by her.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

The second, "daydreaming girl" is my choice,too.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I vote for the Bathing Lady...she's beautiful and so classic! Very greek/roman style and I like the color, too.

The second gal is very cute, but I don't think she has the presence of your bathing lady...more like her lady-in-waiting...but that's just my two cents :)

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I like the second one really well, but you couldn't go wrong with either one.
    kay

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Bathing Lady most definitely!

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Bathing Woman, for the same reasons that lavender lass gave.
    I can't tell from the photos, but she looks larger than the other one, more presence.

• gardenbear1
    13 years ago

I think the first one would look good in a fern and hosta garden, but if you have that special spot when you like to sit and just get away from it all I think the second one would work, with age she would look great any place you put her

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I think as Annette does, the bathing lady would be at home near a water feature, or a fern glade, shady area. The second statue looks more of what you might see in a Victorian flower garden or rose garden like yours.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

I have to pick the second one. The first one looks like it has been stained and I think the second one would look nice if it was stained with something to give it an aged look. Both are beautiful though!! You could go with my way of thinking usually and get both. lol!! Good luck deciding, Judy

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

First one is my choice.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like a split board here! Lol
    The statues are both 36 inches high and would be placed on a pedestal to bump them up bother foot. The bathing lady is from a company that offers a huge selection of finishes, and the daydreamer is only made in regular grey concrete. I also like the aged look of her but I know it'll take time to get that look.

I agree that the bathing lady looks more like a woodland garden statue. Someday I hope to have that kind of land, with a mix of shade and sun, but I only have a little patch of shade that has become my little fairy garden. And I of course would love both! But the area I garden in is rather small and I have a little collection of statues scattered already.

Thank you all for your help! I still look forward to more opinions, and I'll probably drive myself crazy deciding! In the end I can't wait to post pics of the statue in my own garden.

• zaphod42
    13 years ago

What is your personality?

Its classic elegance vs charming sweetness.
    Norah Jones vs Katy Perry.
    Breakfast at Tiffany's vs Roman Holiday.

Everybody votes based on which archetype of femininity most appeals to them or which one they identify with the most. Which one do you most identify with?

Oooh, any Xena, Warrior Princess statues!? I'd pick that one. :)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thats so tough zap hod, because I identify with both statues. 1 reminds me of the lighthearted feeling you get when you walk barefoot on a warm summer night in your yard, 2 kinda sums up the feeling of taking in the wonder of the garden.
    I wish I had seen either of those movies !
    You shoulda seen all the other contenders for statues, they all evoked some kind of feeling of peace in me. that's why this has been hard. I guess I'm searching for the statue that represents this gardens soul.

I appreciate your insight! I think it makes me think a little more about what she represents. :)

• louisianagal
    13 years ago

Well I know in my yard/gardens it would definitely be the daydreaming girl, it just goes with the other more cottagey statuary and stuff that I have. My mom (80 yr old with lots of statues) would so love her too.
    The bathing lady is beautiful but it definitely would not "go" with my garden style. So can you decide which would "go" better at the moment? If your yard is more cottagey and cheery I think daydreaming girl. If your gardens are more formal or European, that is what I envision the bathing lady for. But I have a solution, pick one and start saving for the other. I know you will find a place for it. If you love them both, you should have them both -- in your future!
    Laurie

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

So, what color roses are you putting in? Are you mixing them with any other flowers? Is it going to be more of a cottage mix with daisies, etc. or more roses and lavender? That might help make your decision, too.

On a less serious note...what if she's really 'sun bathing' lady? :)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ll, my roses will be pink, white, hot pink bordering on red, and a couple purples with one or 2 pale yellows. It's definatly a cottage style garden, no formality at all. Lots of perennials mixed in .
    She could be getting ready to sunbathe! Lol

I think once took all of your opinions into consideration, and realized I have a white picket fence bordering the garden , I realized the daydreamer fits better! Somehow I feel the bather belongs behind a beautiful wrought iron fence! Isn't that weird to think, but it helped me decide. Someday I hope to have the lush woodland backyard for her but that may be a while off! Thanks everybody for help. Cant wait to bring her home! She still needs a proper name....

• ginny12
    13 years ago

This is probably too late but the garden/landscape is the key to the correct choice. There is no way to make this decision without seeing the garden first.

These are both formal statues of classical design. Is your garden formal and classical? Look at the context of your garden--then make the choice. The statues are nice but would not be right for most typical American gardens.

But if it makes your heart sing, then pick what makes you happy.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

Well I like the first one the best, so since your not going with that one feel free to send it my way, LOL! ;-D

Glad to see you back posting lilyfinch!
    CMK

• scully931
    13 years ago

Flip a coin!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Yay, you decided on "dreaming girl". You should look into staining her yourself if you want her to be a different color. I grab my stain all the time and wipe or brush it on things that have lost their color due to the elements. I have never done it correctly i'm sure but you probably could do a search and read how to do it right. Anxious to see it sitting among your lovely flowers. I'm sure it will look gorgeous even leaving it the color it is. So hurry and go put it in its spot and snap us a picture. lol! Judy

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I know this is too late an answer. They are both nice and can't
    go wrong with either one. I would have picked the bathing lady.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES