Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

blue bottles for bottle tree

natal
12 years ago

Well, I finally got a bottle tree. Not the way I wanted, but Mother Nature made the call. We had a beautiful Japanese maple for more than 20 years. Last fall we noticed the leaves didn't turn colors ... just brown. This spring there was no sign of life. Rather than cut it down, dh suggested turning it into the bottle tree I've always wanted. So as of today it begins a new life. Only 2 bottles so far. Have searched at various stores and only find Riesling wine and Skyy vodka in blue bottles. Oh, and Budweiser has a new brew in blue. I thought there was a water bottled in blue, but I can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions for blue bottles?

Comments (27)

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Do you have a Trader Joe supermarket in your area? They have Italian sparkling water in beautiful blue bottles.
    ~Natalie

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry comes in blue bottles.

Sorry about your tree, but way to go making lemonade from lemons, Natal.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

i saw blue bottles offered for sale in a garden catalog that also sells the bare trees. sorry i can't remember which one. maybe you could look on ebay or amazon. or google 'blue bottles.' min

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

There's a liquor sold in pale blue bottles. I don't know what kind because a friend gives me her bottles. All I know is that they are pretty. I've been building a blue wine bottle border but I'm not in love with it. Maybe a bottle tree would be nicer.

• tndaisy
    12 years ago

Google any winemaker supply, and they'll have blue bottles- other colors too, for that matter...they're cheaper than the bottle tree maker sites...hope this helps.

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

Sorry about your tree, but very smart DH! I can't help you with blue bottles. Good luck.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Two spring waters come in blue bottles, Saratoga Springs and Ty Nant.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the help!

Cyn, I've heard the name, but no idea what that is. I'll take a look.

Natalie, unfortunately no TJ's ... yet. I keep hoping.

Min, I'd rather not pay for empty bottles.

GGG, guess I need to visit a few more liquor stores. I'll keep an eye out for light blue.

Sandi, I was amazed! He said I kept waiting for you to ask if you could turn it into a bottle tree. It never crossed my mind. I was so sad about losing the tree ... didn't see the silver lining.

Mtn, thanks! Just checked the Saratoga Springs site and it says sold at Fresh Market. Hopefully it's the glass bottles and not the plastic.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Oh I wish we lived close! I work at a winery and we use blue bottles for our Riesling. Maybe there is a winery or restaurant near by? Lots of places recycle empty glass and would be happy to give them to you. Also, if you want I'll look for you but I saw a pin on pinterest on how to color glass bottles (like mason jars) and you could color clear bottles different shades of blue. Please post a pic of your awesome tree when youstartdecorating it!

• User
    12 years ago

I was lucky to get all of mine from DS1 and DIL at their restaurant...we don't drink Riesling :) I have the regular dark blue and then a few lighter blue mixed in . I love it...I can attest to the fact that our DS2's luck/life/source of angst has improved since we put ours in the garden.

One caveat though...a worker broke one of the bottles a couple years ago..within 30 minutes my DS2 called and said that his brakes had gone out on his car on the interstate in Atlanta...it was a very near thing. I never let anyone near my blue bottles now. So be careful..it is powerful magic. Good Luck ! c

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not a sweet wine drinker, but Riesling goes surprisingly well with spicy boiled crawfish. Since we've eaten the mudbugs twice this week I already have a few blue bottles ... one regular size and some minis.

A neighbor stopped by yesterday and said she'd ask her son-in-law to save us a few. He owns a bar. I may end up with more than I need. ;)

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

Just a thought: you might want to contact a number of local restaurants that sell wine, and ask them to save some empty blue bottles for you. I know some people do it with coffee grounds.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natalie, that's what my neighbor will be asking her SIL to do. He owns a bar.

Lily, I meant to ask you why is Riesling bottled in blue?

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Good for you, Natal. Turn a disaster into a delight. I hope your tree is beautiful and just what you want.
    kay

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Natal, I was told ( so may be just a tale) reisling is in blue because there were two competitors in the wine business in Germany . One bottled his in a brown bottle ( not so attractive!) and the competitor one upped them by using pretty blue bottles to attract buyers. It worked and now most German reisling is in blue bottles. The winery I work for uses them as well. It's our best seller and my favorite! :)

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

Natal, You've inspired me. I checked out Saratoga Springs and we have a Fresh Market not too terribly far. They have 12 oz and 28oz bottles. I can't decide which size I want. Opinion?

• Merilia
    12 years ago

Weird... I drink a fair bit of Riesling (and I live almost next door to a good maker of it--Chateau Ste. Michelle), but I have never had it in a blue bottle.

I love the colors of sake bottles. There are some that come in cobalt blue bottles, but they also sell them in more turquoise bottles, and also some that are blue frosted glass. Many are also available in small bottles, which look cute and are great if you're trying to taste something new without spending a fortune.

• ianna
    12 years ago

You can also paint the tree blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: blue tree

• natal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it's finally finished. Dh is an ale drinker, but he discovered Bud's new platinum brew in blue bottles isn't bad, so he contributed quite a few.

Sandi, I bought a couple Ty Nant bottles of water. The labels on the Saratoga Springs were engraved on the bottle. I wanted removable labels.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

{{gwi:664639}}

{{gwi:664640}}

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

What!? A bottle tree?? I've never heard of it but it's AWESOME!! So clever! Yours looks great. ;D

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

natal, I really like your bottle tree. And how nice of DH to contribute. Do you like the Ty Nant bottles? I don't like beer so maybe I can find someone who will drink it.

Your banana is huge! I love bananas.

• natal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Ty Nant bottles have a nice rounded shape. My favorite is an Italian pino grigio I found at World Market.

I usually cut back the banana trees, but forgot this year. We may actually have bananas.

Here is a link that might be useful: pino grigio

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I have a friend about 12 miles south of me that has good luck with bananas producing on the banana trees growing next to his house. I don't think they will make it here without dying back.

I like the pino grigio bottles too.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Natal, your bottle tree is one of the nicest ones I've seen, it has a nice flow to it.

Annette

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I was just going to say the same thing. That is the prettiest version of a bottle tree I've seen in a long time. It really fits that spot in front of the banana tree and is very graceful and not stiff.

• Megan Heffner
    last year

Do u still need blue bottle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

That's too bad, the photo of the tree is no longer visible.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH