Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becr_gw

Hi Cottage Garden Friends

BecR
11 years ago

Hi all~

It's been a long time since I've checked in here (about three years!). Have had some bad luck with my health can you say five major surgeries plus complications. Aaaargh. But I'm still here so very thankful for that.

Feeling better so finally was able to get out in the garden and get some dirt under my fingernails and all I can say is there's not much else that makes me so happy guess I'm just a died in the wool cottage gardener, through and through.

The rose bushes got a much needed haircut (pruning) this winter, and they are now rewarding us with lush, fresh healthy new green growth, and lots of blooms coming on. Can't wait to see them unfurl.

Here is one pic (I can't seem to figure out how to post multiple photos in one post--is this even possible?). So here is one pic taken today of the huge cream and rose "First Prize", and the lovely pink and yellow "Tiffany" hybrid tea roses. Hope you enjoy!

XO Becky

Comments (15)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

So glad to have you back with us Becky and super glad that you are feeling better. Having dealt with health issues in the past and probably will again in the future I know so well how one feels when things are on the upswing, enjoy :).

Annette

• BecR
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Annette, it's so good to "see" you again. How is your garden doing?

• Annie
    11 years ago

Hello Bec,

I can't tell you how much I have missed you. I was thinking about you the other day when we were discussing California wildflowers, and wondering if they are blooming right now. So glad you are better after all you've been through and again able to get out there and fling some dirt!
    Hope you will continue to improve. (hugs)).

~Annie

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, hello becky! Sorry to hear of your troubles. Like Annie says, hope you continue to improve.

Your post reminded me to ask about my rose (see post-ha).

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Becky, I've been a busy girl the last couple of months. I took the bull by the horns and have been working on the raised garden behind where the goldfish pool was, we took that out last summer filling it in over the winter, it's now a gravelled area where my chiminea and a couple of pots sit.

I just finished a flagstone path at the top of a step I cut into the little stone wall around the raised bed a couple of years ago. This getting old ain't for sissies the old legs aren't what they used to be but I'm happy to say the last couple of months they've been pretty good sooooo, it's make hay while the sun shines :). It's not perfect but hey it's good enough for me.
    Since we took out the big Cherry tree this little area gets a lot more sun so I've been doing the musical chairs thing. Where the Ligularia was there is now a Lespedeza, nearby a Leycesteria formosa and the little lilac 'Paliblin'. The Ligularia and the Empress Wu hosta had to be moved into a shadier spot but in the same bed. The %$#&^# slugs/snail have been busy the poor old Lig looks like it's been buckshot even with the copper mesh I had around it.
    Still a lot of work to be done in this bed, will take pictures later.

Annette

• BecR
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Annie, Schoolhouse, and Annette~

Thank you all for your warm welcome back. It's good to be remembered by such a great group of cottage friends, it warms my heart.

Can't wait to read all the posts to see what you're all up to. ;-)

Annette, your chiminea sounds like a nice place to relax by hope you don't miss your ond too mcuh am sure you made the right decision as ponds can be so work intensive. For slugs have yourtried Petes Pellets, sems to work pretty good and non toxic to pets.

XO Becky

• memo3
    11 years ago

Hi Becky,
    So nice to have you back with us! I'm sorry for your troubles, been there myself this past year. I haven't been around here too much myself but hope to continue to pop in and out as long as the good Lord is willing. Have a wonderful spring and continue to heal as best you can.
    MeMo

• BecR
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello MeMo,

Same to you, hope you enjoy each day's blessings, and have a lovely Spring!

I know you've had your health troubles in the past, and am sorry this past year has been especially difficult for you.

May you and all of us continue to enjoy each day as the good Lord sees fit.

XO Becky

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Wow! Good to see you back. I am glad you are finally getting dirt under your nails. That always helps my attitude.

Two days ago I had an Arizona ash removed.
    Now there will be more sun. I will get a little shade from over the back fence and from my shed in the late afternoon.
    Neither my son nor I can figure out how to download pictures from an Olympus digital camera I bought months ago. So no after pic. I plan iris and daylilies in front and shrubs in front of the crape myrtles. Maybe now with more sun the crapes will take off.
    Kathy

• BecR
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So happy to see you here, Kathy. How are your doggies? Your garden looks lovely. I hope someone here can help you figure out how to download from your Olympus, so we can see after pics.

We have a big ash tree, not sure the vareity as it was here when we moved in over 12 yrs ago. The tree makes very much needed and welcome shade, so we chose to keep it, although it is close to the patio and makes horrible litter several months of the year. We did remove some of the bottom branches to "lift the canopy", then had it the remaining upper branches thinned professionally to open it up and let light and wind through. Much better!

Unfortunately, lately I've noticed that our concrete patio has a long crack in it, from the tree roots! Keeping an eye on it, if it worsens we may have to consider tree removal. :(

XO

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Bec, My next door neighbor tried to talk the first owner out of planning an ash. The man said he wanted quick shade. As you can see the shade never was over the house or patio. That picture is from this time last year. It does not look quite that good. Too many years of drought and water restrictions.
    My dogs are fine. But Diane's pom is having heart and liver problems. When ever he dies I will have to bury her also.
    At the moment we are raising 4 darling kittens....in my bathroom. A male stray adopted us and then moved his girl friend in. He started trying to kill the kittens, so we brought them in. I wish I could afford to keep them. They have to weigh 2 lbs before the San Antonio Humane Soc. will take them. But they are just under that. They come running when I open the door. Sure is fun trying to do my "thing" with 4 kittens wanting my attention.
    I am more a dog person, but I would never want any critter to suffer.
    The tom and female had been someone's pets. They are what the society calls community cats. There is a neuter and release program here.
    I searched the internet until I found this pic. that looks similar to 3 of them. The 4th is a dark gray tabby. He starts purring the minute we touch him. A trick to try to get us to keep him. lol

• BecR
    Original Author
    11 years ago

omg, so darling!

Kathy, maybe you can try a "no kill" kitty shelter? Or, you could try and sell the adorable8 week old kittens on the internet to good home only, for $50 each. that's how we found our two sweeties.

Glad your pups are still with you, sorry to hear about the one w liver and heart problems. They are so precious.

My kitties (brother and sister) are 12 now. The female was diabetic a while back, for about a year, but we were able to adjust her diet (no dry food etc) so she is now in remission and no more insulin shots--yay!!

Our boy kitty this year has developed slight liver/kidney disease...our vet recommended a special kidney-diet food (special wet canned food that is lower protein), and we will retest him in six months. Keeping fingers and toes crossed that it does the trick.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

A friend said I should keep one as they don't cost much to feed. True, but it is their vets costs.
    They are definitely going to a no kill place. And they will also neuter them before they are adopted. A volunteer from Helotes Animal Care is supposed to call later today for directions to my house. They will also lend me a trap for the neuter program. then the parents will come back here a non feral community cats.

Our fur babies are so dependent on us. I make a mental contract to each pet that I will never let them suffer. As I get older it is harder to have them put down if needed. When Snickers had to go in on Xmas eve of 2012 I drove her to the vet and my oldest son met us there. He stayed with her. Then he picked up her ashes and spread them on my husband's grave. Wasn't that sweet of him?

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

A nice lady came by yesterday and picked up the kittens. It was emotional to see them go. They will be taken to e neutered and then put up for adoption

k.

• BecR
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aw Kathy, I know, its tough. Hope they find good homes quickly.

Hugs XX Becky

Sponsored