Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Geum

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

I'd like to try this perennial in the "Totally Tangerine" variety. Anyone grow Geum , Bluestone Perennials mentions it doesn't like heat, prefers morning sun and afternoon shade. I wanted it in a bed with other perennials but the bed gets pretty much full sun all day.

Comments (14)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

There is currently a thread on this plant over on the perennials forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geum

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I keep forgetting to check that forum.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The thread on the perennial forum really answered my questions about this plant. Hmmmm. I thought I'd found a nice orange bloom. Glad I didn't rush out to buy it.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

What about orange daylilies?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, daylilies are nice but I want something that will bloom most of the summer along with hardy salvias. There is a nice yarrow called "Paprika" that I grew once but it froze out, so not sure I want to invest in that again. The bed is in full sun all day so plants must be drought tolerant in case of dry spells.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I have some daylilies that bloom all summer just about to freeze, but no orange that do. You could check on the daylily forum.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only day lily that I know of which blooms pretty much all season is the Stella Dora(sp?), which is a yellow sometimes melon colored. Now that one could work, but I think I'm looking for something else in terms of foliage too.

• Sandi_W
    11 years ago

I have Going Bananas, Happy Returns, Big Tall Happy, all pale yellow and all bloom all summer pretty heavily. But I understand about wanting a different foliage.

• Annie
    11 years ago

schoolhouse,

I grow Geums. They are bright orange (like orange peel) and just beautiful! Mine are blooming right now.

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Hey, i bought 3 totally tangerine geums from bluestone 3 years ago! Love them! Mine get mostly afternoon hot sun and do great. Chocked full of blooms in late spring and get a second flush if i cut it back a little after the first bloom. The blooms are small but plentiful and are the color of an orange crayon.

• Annie
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that here in Central Oklahoma I grow them as Bluestone Perennials recommends with morning sun and afternoon shade. In Spring when temps are low and the sun is still low on the Southern horizon, they do well in full sun all day long and they bloom like crazy, but once the summer heat arrives, they tend to wither and die (here in Okie anyway) in the heat of full sun all day long. If you have long summer days and temps that get above 80-85 degrees, best plant them where they get some afternoon shade or filtered sunlight.

The first ones I had were the 'Mrs. Bradshaw' variety. The blooms were red-orange. The plants lasted me for over 12 years before just disappearing from the garden.
    The ones I planted this year are a brighter, true orange color.
    Very pretty. Not sure what variety they are.
    I planted my Geum underneath one of my Redbud trees together with purple Osteospermum 'Soprano'. I love the three colours together.

~Annie

• Annie
    11 years ago

Well, darn it!

I got the name wrong for my Osteospermum.
    It's not 'Soprano' at all!

It is called 'Comet Red'.
    The petals are red-violet with fiery speckles of yellow, orange & blue around the dark red-violet stamen center. It's electifyingly beautiful.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw some at a greenhouse Tuesday, the orange ones, they were pretty small but already blooming. I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

• eclecticcottage
    11 years ago

I swear there's an orange blanket flower...I don't know which one though. I picked it up untagged last year, I know it's a blanket flower.

What about maltese cross or butterfly weed?

Sponsored