Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet spike blooming with yellow flag iris

Posted by sandi_w 7b/8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:37

What spike perennial between pink and violet purple blooms with yellow flag iris? I passed a house today with that combination and it was gorgeous. No one was home. They were just about the same height with the violet being a hair taller.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet spike blooming with yellow flag iris

Foxgloves?

o

Thanks hosenmesis. It's not foxgloves though. The spikes are not quite as large and the flowerettes are much smaller. And I believe this is a true perennial to be so tall and so much in flower. Anything similiar would suit me, but I can't think of a thing. It's zone 8 here and flag iris are in full bloom. The house is 45 min away or I would go more often trying to catch someone home.

o

Gee, all I can think of is purple loosestrife. We can't grow it here, but I have seen it in photos. Could it be pink larkspur?
Renee

o

Renee,

Loosestrife is too invasive for me and I just read that larkspur is an annual that doesn't like our heat. Thank you so much for trying to help me. I'm going to call my son in law and ask him to go knocking one day this week.

o

I have 3 plants that resemble a violet spike:

Royal Candles Spike Speedwell

Blue Fortune Hyssop

Liatris Blazing Star - this one is pink but liatris comes in a purple as well I think.

o

luckygal,

Blue Fortune Hyssop and Liatris Blazing Star bloom too late to be what I saw, but there is a Veronica spicata that might bloom the right time and is the right height. Thank you, I'm going to try the Veronica.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here