Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Violas anyone?

newyorkrita
14 years ago

The only violas I have are in containers because I bought two of those bowl planted things they sell each spring. One is shades of yellow and cream. The other dark purple. I put those on my back stoop by my kitchen door were I am always going in and out of.

Then I also bought afew cell packs of the most lovely ones called Penny Citrus Mix. They are orange ones and yellow ones mixed and so lovely. I planted those on two large pots at my side door. They really are stunning.

This is the first time I have bought violas. I usually buy pansies but was struck this time both by how lovely the violas look and how nice they smelled.

So now I am interested in violas. What can you tell me about them? Who grows them and how do you use them in the landscape? Do they come back year after year or not? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

Proper violas do reseed, as well as come back. Some hybrids will 'revert', or dehybridize, if you will. I am not sure about pansies. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the yellow violas I had in my window boxes have seeded into my peastone path. Think of Johnny-Jump-Ups - they most likely come back for you.

Nancy.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Johnny-Jump-Ups are the only violas I have and they reseed well some years but some years I think I've mulched or weeded too much and have few. I'm thinking of buying some seed to have more especially after seeing Gottagarden's violas between the stepping stones. I'll just seed them in swaths in several areas in the front of the beds.

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

I bought a 6 pack of violas years ago. From that little pack they have spread everywhere, but in a nice way. Mine bloom for months - from April through June, take a break in July and August, then start blooming again Sept through frost. I don't what else has such a long bloom time. They go with everything.

Goes without saying, they are low maintenance and need nothing special.

• roper2008
    14 years ago

I always have viola's. They are such cheery little flowers. They do
    self sow. I have Bowles Black viola that I purchased from SSE 2 years
    ago all over my garden. That one really self sows. These I bought
    last year.
    {{gwi:665085}}

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

roper- Love the picture. Such happy faces.

It's the newer hybred violas that really appeal to me. They are so pretty and so much variety available. The old original violas that we call Johnny jump ups never appealed that much to me, the flowers were so small. The new hybrids have much bigger flowers (not anywhere the size of pansies though) and great new colors and patterns.
    But if they don't reseed true then they would either need to be perennial or replanted each year. I was hoping they would come up yearly all by themselves.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So today I had a trip to the local favorite nursery of mine. I had decided to look for violas. I am on a kick for early spring color to add to the garden. Been focusing on bulbs to accomplish that but just realized this year that violas could do lots to add early color. Plus the benefit of fall color also.

I had read on the internet that the Sorbet Brand Series were tested in New Hampshire for overwintering and came thru the trials very well. I thought that if they overwinter in NH, they surely should here on Long Island. So my goal was to see if I could find this series locally. Sucess! That was extactly what they had at the nursery. It even was printed on the tag that these were the most winterhardy violas. But then the tag also ID the plant as an annual. Talk about an identity crisis!

At any rate, I bought an entire flat of Sorbet Coconut Swirl. Two six packs of Sorbet Orange Delight and Sorbet Plum Delight. One six pack of Sorbet Blue Heaven. I have lots of places already in mind for them so we will see how they do.

I will be taking some pictures to add to this post after I get them planted.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

They are really pretty! I loved gottagarden's gorgeous violas, but it is too late here to plant them I think.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They (the selection) was already picked over here as they are about the earliest plants people buy (along with pansies). I had in fact bought my violas bowls about a month ago and they have been out there evcer since. In fact the viola bowls were the thing that got me interested in violas this year. So I think it is late for putting in violas down your way. From what I understand, they hate the hot weather, just as pansies do.

• roper2008
    14 years ago

They sound pretty. I don't think it's too late to plant them in your
    zone. I usually buy my pansies and viola's in the fall. They grow
    a little, but when it gets cold they slow down, sometimes look
    shabby. In spring they perk right up and look great because their
    roots had time to grow in the fall. What kills mine is the high
    heat of summer.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My violas are all planted. I thought I bought so many of them, yet they dissappeared into the garden in a snap. They do look really nice. I should have thought of this earlier, like in March. Oh well. Will take some pictures soon.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lets see if this link works. I just ordered these on line. Its a different series than the Sorbert Series but another one thats very cold hardy. Also its a very fragrant one. I love the fragrant ones as the ones in the bowls I bought early this year are very fragrant.

It shows a great picture of them. They are really striking.

Angel Amber Kiss at Harris Seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viola Angel Amber Kiss

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:665086}}

Penny Citrus Mix in a pot.

{{gwi:665087}}

Sorbet Series before planting.

{{gwi:665088}}

Planted Violas in the daylily garden.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All those violas I planted awhile back are looking great. Meanwhile I found some new ones to add to the garden today. I got three small pots of Etain, hardy to zone 4 and three larger pots of Rebecca, hardy to zone 5. I know because it said that right on the labels. They have such a nice scent. I already planted them and took pictures which I will post as soon as I get a chance.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wonderful picture. They all look so good in mass like that!

Here are my ETIAN Violas.

{{gwi:665090}}

And here they are planted. You can see lots of the Sorbet Violas in the backround that I planted the other week.

{{gwi:665091}}

The pots of REBECCA Violas.

{{gwi:665092}}

Closeup of the REBECCA VIOLAS.

{{gwi:665093}}

The REBECCA Violas planted in their new home.

{{gwi:665094}}

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

I love violas more than pansies - they flower forever and have way more blooms that pansies plus the scent is wonderful. I love the fact that they reseed willingly and some varieties are perennial. I will always buy a new flat every fall simply because there are new cultivars every year. They will bloom all winter, spring for us but will sulk in July and August then kick into gear again late September - love all the pretty pictures especially the one with the daffodils, euphorbia and violas - what a delightful sight .....

Lynne

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    14 years ago

Normally I am not really 'into' annuals, but I love pansies and violas. Since they last so long, reseed, and can come back the next year I don't mind buying them. Whenever I see some on the clearance rack at Lowes I get a few. They don't always come back reliably in certain spots (like if I mulched or top dressed with compost in that area), so I guess it is good I am always buying more, lol.

Ps. I bought some really adorable ones yesterday that are ruffled and have amazing streaks in the center! So cute.
    CMK

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

From what I am understanding these new facy F1 hybrids do not come true to seed so you don't want them reseeding. In fact that is why I never had violas so so many years, I didn't know these truely lovely new ones exhisted. I didn't want the really tiny flowered Johnny Jump Up types.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County