Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnitecrafter

My outhouse garden

midnitecrafter
12 years ago

Found this site last year and I love to look at all your beautiful gardens. Would like to share a picture of mine with you. This is the only one that is letting me upload at the this time. I rescued this 3 hole outhouse from a man who was taking an ax to it. Him and my husband thought I was crazy. Well I am at times, but oh well. We brought it home in sections and I put it back together and guess who is trying to take credit for it??? Oh well, he did help me bring it home. Have a great Spring!!!!

{{gwi:665382}}

Comments (24)

• natalie4b
    12 years ago

What a great idea! Love the creativity of everything: the outhouse, fence, garden, rocks, metal flowers - well done!
    Being crazy is not bad at all, IMHO>)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

You're not crazy, and neither am I (right!) You could easily turn this into a garden shed, it's so cute!

• Sandi_W
    12 years ago

Love it! What a lucky find. And a very pretty setting.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

That's wonderful. I love your fence too- both of them. Lots of labor in that garden!
    Renee

• Cher
    12 years ago

The whole area looks great. Your garden bed is lovely and really sets off the whole scene.
    Cher

• lavendrfem
    12 years ago

It makes me want to see it up close. Love it....the fence is awesome.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ditto what everyone else said. You have a wonderful garden-lovely with touches of whimsy and humor! Perfect combo. So glad you shared your picture!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

What a totally unique garden! You should be so proud of yourself. Hope you share more pics this summer!

• User
    12 years ago

Wow...I LOVE your garden ! The plantings are all so pretty but that fence really sets it apart. You are SO creative. Would love to see more pics of your whole garden. c

• DYH
    12 years ago

I think it's great! Love the story behind (sorry) it, too! :-) The garden surrounding it is so wonderful.

Cameron

BTW, my husband does the same thing to me. I hatch an idea and do most of the work...he does a bit of heavy lifting and then it's his!

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    12 years ago

The entire composition is lovely. You put everything together so beautifully. Please share more pictures of your work.

Tell us about the fences. I love the woven one around the tree. What was your thinking there? Beauty, function, or both? What wood did you use and how long will it last?

Love the outhouse, too. I'm old enough to have used one at my grandparents house up until I was about 14. I was recently looking at the renovated farmhouse and the development around it and realized the place I'd targeted as the perfect garden site was right where the old outhouse stood. Wonder how many suburban gardens are atop old privies?

• koszta_kid
    12 years ago

I also have OH in my garden. Like the country look. Got pitcher pump next to it+ hanging metal pan+ small bench -for waiting line.Tried posting picture-will not let me here.Had before

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

That is very cute. good for you!
    kay

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

There is a hosta called "Outhouse Delight" that belongs in a garden like that. Where are the hollyhocks, that were traditionally planted next to the outhouse so you would know where to find it? lol!

Wonderful, I love it!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Well done, very pretty spot. Like the circular fence too.

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

Now THAT'S where i wanna go potty!

• midnitecrafter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to all of you. The fence is made out of willow and I put that up about 8 years ago. It's really fragile at this moment and sadly, willow doesn't last that long and with the Wisconsin weather, I am surprised it lasted this long. The circular fence is willow also and I have it woven around wooden stakes placed about a foot apart. I have strawberries planted within it. I am thinking about moving the strawberries out and putting in sage plants. I did plant some hollyhocks last year and some are coming up. A neighbor friend told me they also use to plant lilacs near the privys to help mask the odor. I am so glad to have found this website, you guys have awesome gardens !!!!

• teakettle2
    11 years ago

Oh that is THE most adorable garden. I love all your little details.
    I just took a bunch of kids for a field trip to a California mission and of course the out house was a big hit.
    They had scented geraniums planted around it, and hollyhocks too.
    Just seeing your garden gives me such inspiration. Thank you for sharing..

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Very nice,and i also remember the OH'S.We had a 3 holer one as well.My dad always made ours,Mom put linoleum on the floor,and curtains at the window.Ours was also surrounded by lilacs,and hollyhocks.When i left home at 18 years of age,it was still there and still being used.They finally put plumbing in the houses in that area about 2 years after i left

• jerrie
    11 years ago

Pretty! Love your style.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Welcome to the "family"!!
    How cute. Why 3 holes? I would hate to have to share my "time" with two other people. :)

Should you not know, your little woven fence is called a watttle fence.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Love everything about your outhouse and garden! You did a fantastic job with the lay out- I am totally impressed. Hope this is only a small sample shot of your gardens and more pics will soon come our way!!

Hey, Van Gogh was crazy...how much are his paintings selling for now??? ;-D
    CMK

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Why 3 holes? I would hate to have to share my "time" with two other people. :)

In our case we had 3 holes from small for the little kids,medium for the older and large for the adults.I come from a family of 12 kids,so i guess you could say it served the same purpose as people needing 3 and 4 bathrooms in their mcmansions today.When ya gotta go,ya gotta go,and really we never gaveit any thought,except the girls went with the girls,and the boys went with the boys.

You did what you had to do back in those days!!

Besides as night we never went up there alone.
    We lived out in the country in N.Y. state.

Kathi

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Now, I remember my cousin and I going at the same time. I was thinking as an adult. Well Duh. hahahaha

They had a shower in the barn. I remember her sticking a baseball bat out side where the drain pipe went out. Someone had given me packs of bubblebath. I grew up with indoor plumbing and never thought about that when I went to visit them.

Sponsored