Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing temps and apple trees ????

Posted by mnkitty none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 20:32

It's a little late to be asking this, but do I need to cover my apple trees tonight? They are young and gave us their 1st few apples last year. We are hoping for more this year. They don't have any flowers yet, but the temps. are going to be in the 20s tonight and tomorrow night. Will they be o.k. uncovered?

Thanks,
Kitty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing temps and apple trees ????

If the buds have already swelled they probably won't make it, sorry! Of course it all depends where they are in your yard too. Are they protected at all by larger trees? My cousin just lost 150 acres of cherry trees this past week to frost and freeze. If you can throw a cloth over them than do it! Good luck!!

o

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry for your cousin's loss (WAY,WAY bigger than mine). I ended up not covering my trees last night. They just have very small leaves right now. I noticed small tiny buds on the branches, but they are so teeny that I'm hoping they will be o.k. I guess this will be another learning experience for me.

I have been covering my non-hardy roses. I'm so tired of running sheets in and out I left them on all day today since tonight is going to be another cold one. Now, I'm worried about the lilacs and hydrangeas. I guess I can't get to everything.
Thanks for your help,
Kitty

o

Do what I have observed in Yakima Valley. Mist the trees.

"Sprinkle the apple tree with water on chilly nights that are clear and calm. As the water freezes, it releases heat, which can keep the apple buds from freezing. If it's windy, the problem can worsen because the water evaporates. Turn on a water sprinkler when the temperature reaches 33 degrees Fahrenheit, and leave it on all night until the ice melts from the tree the following the day."

"

o

Thank you Ianna. There are no more 20s predicted in the forecast, so I will try and remember your advice for next year. I HOPE we won't be getting any more nights that cold this year.
Thank you,
Kitty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here